Fret size on PRS Hollow II

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by es3456, Oct 13, 2008.

1. es3456

es3456 Member

I am thinking of putting larger frets (6100) on my PRS and i was wondering what size is on there now ?

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Why?
    Honest question.

3. es3456

es3456 Member

I play mostly blues and Larger frets make bending allot easier. I hate the idea of refreting a perfectly good (beautiful) guitar.

Will the value decrease after a refret ?

4. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

es3456, some thoughs

I'm also a guy who generally prefers larger frets and uses 10's. I had a '52 RI Tele (with the vintage 7.25" radius) refretted to 6105 wire and the playability is night and day, no more difficulty with bends (no more pulling donkeys). I also had an EJ (with the 12" radius) refretted. Fender's specs say that the EJ frets are medium jumbos, but they are actually much shorter (though wide), so I had those refretted with 6100, my favorite wire. Since I prefer the 6100s over any other wire, I also had a VHR '62 Strat refretted, even though it has a 9.5" raidus. Did that one really need it? I don't know, but I decided just to do it, and it plays beautifully.

All of that said, my PRS McSoapy (my only PRS and one of my favorite guitars) has the best neck and playability of any of my guitars, even though the fretwire feels much smaller than the 6100/6105s I like on my Fenders. I don't personally own a Hollowbody PRS and have zero playing time on one, but I think you should really think about whether that mod is going to really help the guitar's playability. Perhaps a lighter string gauge would work for you? If you are even considering selling the guitar, just do it and find the RIGHT guitar for you.

As far as decreasing the value, I think that it will likely decrease in value unless you find someone who feels exactly like you. Value will also be substantially impacted by the luthier who does the re-fret, how good of a job it is, and whether the subsequent purchaser knows of that luthier and values the work. I have had all of my guitars re-fretted by Mark Kane at Fat Sound in N.C., and I swear by his work. If I knew that he did the work, I wouldn't care, but an unknown, I might keep walking. You get my drift?

Good luck with your quest.

5. es3456

es3456 Member

Thanks Joe, So you you didn't refret your PRS ? I have two beautiful PRS's and
    I think they would both benefit from 6100's.
    There are two very good guitar tech's in town (Detroit Area) Mike Koontz and Mark Balish. I've had both do refrets before and they both do great work.

6. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food

There is something about the PRS scale, radius, neck size, and finish, that makes my fingers very happy. I have absolutely no trouble with bends, slides or missing my marks, so I doubt I would ever refret that guitar.

If the guitar is a real keeper, with great tone, fits your needs, and no appearance issues nagging at you, the refret may serve you very well, but if you think that you'll trade it in the long run, I wouldn't invest furhter. It's really a personal preference kind of thing. I haven't regretted my refrets, not one bit, but I do have another guitar that I have put a lot of money and stress into that I should have gotten rid of long ago. If you do go the refret route, let me know how it serves you.