Fret Size Question: Fender Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by NewWorldMan, Aug 12, 2008.

1. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Supporting Member

I'm currently building a Strat and I'm having some difficulty deciding on a fret size. I'll be playing prog/rock, think Pink Floyd/Gilmour with that type of chording and soloing, long sustaining bends, etc.

With that in mind, what size do you recommend? I know it's all personal preference, just curious to hear opinions.

Does anyone know what size Fender used stock on their guitars in the late 60's and 70's, and if that differs from the size that's stock now? Any advice appreciated...thanks!

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

60s 6230 close 70s 6230 ~6150 .
    That said you should get Stainless Steel 6100 or 6105 size from Jescar and a Plek dress .
    You'll love it, only problem will be paying to have all your guitars done the same.

3. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

60's, 70's + majority of current models, such as an MIM strat : About .038" high.

If you're not sure what you like, I wouldn't go higher than .047" tall.

4. MartinC

MartinC Member

Stainless Steel jumbos ... great for bending.

5. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

SS is yucky- way too bright for my liking. I do like medium and jumbo frets a lot more than vintage frets on a strat though. I went with a straight 6100 on my last strat refret and couldn't be happier.

around .045 works for me- getting your board re-radiused too?

Tons of research about SS vs NS frets here- use the search function and you'll have reading for a week!

J

6. Soapbarstrat

Soapbarstrat Senior Member

Wait, does that mean that your .055" high "6100's" got filed all the way down to .045" tall ?

What's funny about these kind of threads is that most of the replies are basically along the lines of : "Make *your* guitar perfect for *me* !"

7. NewWorldMan

NewWorldMan Supporting Member

Haha, true...but I did ask for everyones opinions, so that's pretty much what I was asking for... :)

I appreciate all of the advice. The Strat's I've had in the past were pre-built (Fenders, etc) so I had no idea what fret wire they had on them. First time I've ever had to really think about it!