Fretboard color coming off on rag?

I bought a allparts neck from Reverb recently. There were some things described in the ad which I think were dubious.

It said the neck is sprayed in nitro and a fret level is done on it. From what I can tell there was no nitro put on it and it was had hastily/poorly applied fabric dyes on the wood to stain it/make it look like amber tinted nitro. There are definitely high spots on some areas of the frets as well which makes be think there was no fret level done to it, or if it had it was done very poorly.

So that sucks but not a huge deal as the price is not much more than a stock allparts neck and it came with a nut so I wasn't expecting much, but one thing I am curious about was I had some masking tape on it when redo-ing the tint/lacquer which left some tape residue. I put a little acetone on a rag and wiped the gunk off and saw that the rag had been tinted heavily brown from the fretboard. I'm curious as to what that would be about? More fabric dye on the wood to darken the appearance?

Last edited:

Auriemma

If it's not as stated send it back and ding them in the feedback.
If the color is coming off on your cleaning rag, it's probably shoe polish to make it darker.

You can't leave negative feedback on reverb (can't enter anything less than 3 stars). The neck had to be drilled to get it installed to find out about the poor fret work so I can't return it.

Will you be able to correct the fret problem?
I have the action at 2mm 12th fret high E, 2.5mm low E 12th fret. So its high on the treble side and the discrepancy between the fret height is so severe in 3 places that it doesn't just buzz but completely frets out. I believe I can fix this though.

Last edited:

Ncp10

Unless offered leveled, expect to do some fretwork on aftermarket necks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom