• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fretboard oil, what type do you prefer?

BKL71

I have used several different types of fingerboard oil such as lemon oil. linseed oil, horn oil and Gibson Fretboard conditioner. I have guitars with rosewood and ebony boards. Should I use a different oil for rosewood and ebony?

Which type do most of you prefer?

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
I use StewMac's on just about everything except maple and cocobolo. Cocobolo has got so much oil in it already that I just leave it be. I don't even do anything to it when I use it as a headstock veneer. I just buff it and leave it. Oil just seems to sit on the surface and get gummy.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
i like fret Dr, but there's tons of threads on this, with no consensus at all; therefore, i've kinda stopped using oils much at all, as i suspect none of it makes a big difference either way.

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
Fret Doctor is the only product I'll use on my guitars. I'm pretty sure I've had my little bottle since 2004. I don't use it too much. Only when the boards start looking dry, which maybe once a year.

John Coloccia

Cold Supporting Member
i like fret Dr, but there's tons of threads on this, with no consensus at all; therefore, i've kinda stopped using oils much at all, as i suspect none of it makes a big difference either way.
You know where it really helps is on a brand new fingerboard (like straight off my bench) or one that's been sitting around in the basement for 10 years. I don't do anything at all on frequently played guitars. Just playing it keeps things nice and smooth, and oiled.

EADGBE

For rosewood and ebony I like raw linseed oil. For a raw maple fretboard I like pure tung oil.

Pythonman

Lately I've been using Lizard Spit, it's a high end fretboard conditioner with orange oil. Like it a lot.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
not even one page in, and my point is made; everybody says something completely different (jcoloccia's expert point about new verses played-in boards aside).

BKL71

I know someone who lemon oils the rosewood fretboard of his Flying V four times a year. Is that excessive?

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
Read up on Fret Doctor. If this thread gets long enough, you will get a LOT of folks that recommend that. I've used Lemon Oil and Boiled Linseed Oil and I trust Fret Doctor more from what I've experienced more.

Problem is, some of the "linseed oil" and "lemon oil" products you buy have all kinds of extra stuff in them that is NOT so good for your fingerboard. Keep that in mind...

And you only need to do it once or twice a year, too...

morsecode

Gold Supporting Member
I used the Ernie Ball fretboard conditioner wipes on the fretboard. Easy to apply and wipe off. Works great on my guitars.

Ronsonic

Another vote for bore oil. Inexpensive and effective - it is just oil.

I sure as hell don't think that's the only good answer. There's a lot of options out there some with more wax for some polish others with more aggressive elements for more cleaning ability.