fretboard restoration

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by georgestrings, Mar 31, 2015.

1. georgestrings

georgestrings Senior Member

How would one go about putting a finish back on this fretboard, with some tint to look atleast somewhat original???

[​IMG]

I *think* it has been refretted, and in the process the fretboard was refinished - and now looks quite a bit lighter in color... I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and am thinking about making a deal for it - I'm told it's a '72, and is original other than the fretboard work that's been done, and the pickguard...

- georgestrings

2. georgestrings

To be clear - I'm not looking to misrepresent anything - any restoration I do will be fully disclosed, should I ever decide to sell it...

- georgestrings

3. shovelhead82

shovelhead82 Member

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  4. georgestrings

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out...

- georgestrings

5. B. Howard

B. Howard Silver Supporting Member

It's going to depend on what type of finish was used during the re-fret.

6. georgestrings

I'm guessing poly, but I'll find out this afternoon...

- georgestrings

7. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Even if it's poly, nitro goes just fine on top. If you're looking for the quickest, easiest and good-as-any-other lookin'est method, you could mask off the parts you don't want to touch, mist on some toner or tinted lacquer, then follow up with clear.

8. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Does the fretboard match the back of the neck? During that time period Fender used poly for the neck but used lacquer over the decal on the headstock. Over the years the headstock faces darken but the rest of the neck- not so much.

9. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

You need to know if it's poly or nitro. I wouldn't put nitro over poly, but sometimes it does work for some reason... other times it can buckle the poly. Maybe it depends on what the "poly" is... If the nitro flashes fast enough I think it doesn't effect it. If the nitro is too thick it may. You can put poly over nitro for sure.

10. georgestrings

I think you've got it right -the face of the headstock is definitely darker than the rest of the neck, including the fretboard - although the differences are much more pronounced than on my '76 P...

I'm pretty sure it's poly - although I'm leaning towards taking it down to my luthier buddy and asking his opinion before doing anything...

- georgestrings

11. georgestrings

Thanks for the help, everyone - I appreciate it...

- georgestrings