Fretboard wood suggestions..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DigitalTube, Jul 11, 2006.

1. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to go with an Ebony fingerboard on a custom guitar with European Flamed Maple neck-thru construction, and figured Honduras mahogany body.
    I'm looking for a thick/warm distortion sound..
    Any suggestions for frettboard wood besides Ebony??
    Thanks in advance
    E.B.

2. raz

raz Member

The two guitars I've had with this combination of woods did not do thick and warm. They did clear and somewhat thin, which was okay because I plugged them into high gain, midrangey Mesa amps. In other words, I thickened the sound with the amps and effects.

It will depend on what pickups you use and what amps you plug into, but generally speaking, Ebony fretboards aren't used in the same sentence as thick and warm. Generally speaking, when you talk about thick and warm, you talk about Rosewood fretboards. But that's just generally speaking.

3. exhaust_49

exhaust_49 Member

My favourite fretboard wood is indian rosewood. I love it's warm tone, it's grain pattern and the fact that is a very stable fretboard wood. In your case I would go rosewood to get that thick sound. You definatly won't get the thick sound you want with ebony.

4. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Exactly. Ebony is very hard and a far brighter wood than rosewood. I've heard it described as close to maple in tone.

5. B Vance

B Vance Member

+1. If you are after warm, rosewood would be the way to go. Maple and Ebony, although they look and play really good, tend to be a bit more spanky because they are both very hard woods. Rosewood is softer and therefore tends to be warmer.

6. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

For sound, brazilian rosewood if possible. For feel, give me ebony every time.:D

7. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

As already stated, Ebony and Maple sound more similar (bright) than Rosewood does to either of those two. If you want a warm, thick sound, you may want an all Rosewood Neck/Fretboard combo or Mahogany Neck/Rosewood Combo.

8. pokey

pokey Supporting Member

Brazilian Rosewood- for looks, feel, smell, and if you ever decide to sell it the word "Brazilian" is money in the bank. A maple neckthru with ebony board might be more on the bright side than the warm and thick, generally speaking. How ya finishing this maple thruneck with figured mahogany wings?

9. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

Just to pile on...

I don't think thick and warm is necessarily in the neighborhood when you're talking about
    1) a neckthru guitar
    2) a maple necthru guitar

I don't think the ebony fretboard would contribute to the resulting tone anywhere near as much as the maple neck. If I was looking for thick and warm with a neckthru design, I would go with mahogany neck through with mahogany wings with a pau ferro fretboard (the feel of ebony with more of the look and some of the tone possibly of rosewood). I had an all-mahogany neck-thru guitar once (with an ebony fretboard) and thick and warm isn't how I would have described it. However, alot of that could have been due to the pickups (which I didn't spend time trying to swap out). So don't forget that part of the equation.

-Austin

10. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Thanks for your suggestions..
    This is a custom guitar I had someone build me a few years ago, it has an ebony fingerboard, but I was never too happy with the sound, it got damaged in a recent trip(just the fingerboard) so now that I'm replacing it I want to try a different wood.
    Thanks again
    E.B.

11. go7

go7 Member

With the mahogany definateltly a brazilian rosewood board. It will give you warmth and depth. This is a favered combination of woods . My Heatley semi hollowbody has this combination and I much prefer it over ebony,which IMHO is akin to playing on glass and can produce very harsh and unharmonic tones. ebony is great for accoustics .My vote goes for brazilian rosewood. If you`re really feeling like life on the edge add P90`s to this wood cobination ,mahogany and rosewood and strap on your seatbelt. You are now entering the land of the sonic triage. Mahogany body,rosewwod board and P90`s. IMHO simply scarey good!! happy trails.:D