• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fretless guitar

flavaham

I've been wanting to put together a fretless guitar for quite some time now. I'm wondering what is involved if I want to pull the frets from an existing neck and fill them OR if someone here would be willing to do this for me?

I'm probably going to buy an inexpensive DIY guitar to attempt this. Any ideas?

Thanks!

whoismarykelly

Oh look! This is a thing I can change!
Rondo music has inexpensive fretless guitars that are purpose built if you don't want to do the work yourself.

If you're modifying an existing guitar you'll have to pull the frets, level the board under simulated string tension, and adjust the nut slots to compensate for the lack of frets. You will also have to fill the fret slots with wood or something similar.

flavaham

Rondo music has inexpensive fretless guitars that are purpose built if you don't want to do the work yourself.

If you're modifying an existing guitar you'll have to pull the frets, level the board under simulated string tension, and adjust the nut slots to compensate for the lack of frets. You will also have to fill the fret slots with wood or something similar.
Do you have any experience with their instruments? I like the amount of customization they offer!

De - Fre

I've heard of this. Not sure how to do it and get the tension right. Any tips on that?
The veneer I had had the correct size of the slot. Some titebond to glue it and if necessary a truss rod adjustment should be enough.

In the end the total cost should be less than $5.

Choose contrasted veneer for reference of the past frets.

Fred

flavaham

The veneer I had had the correct size of the slot. Some titebond to glue it and if necessary a truss rod adjustment should be enough.

In the end the total cost should be less than $5.

Choose contrasted veneer for reference of the past frets.

Fred
And what is the best way to go about removing the frets? Will they slide right out?

Mr. Duque

I have a fretless guitar. Lots of fun and new possibilities. I had a luthier done it long ago, but it's an easy job. Just be careful removing the frets not to get lots of chips out of the fretboard.

You'll also have to lower the nut and the bridge.

Use flatwound heavy strings!

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
And what is the best way to go about removing the frets? Will they slide right out?
no they won't!

you'll need soldering iron heat and small flush-ground end nippers to pull them, and even then you'll likely get some chips in the edges of the wood that will need to be fixed afterwards.

youtube some fretwork videos, this is not a quick and easy job at all.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom