FretLoops.com - please give it a try!

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cheezit, Dec 29, 2017.

1. cheezit

cheezit Member

I've built a web-based tool at fretloops.com that should be useful for anyone wanting to build speed and accuracy when playing fast licks. From the about page:
    "FretLoops lets you create loops of single note lines, and play them back with variable tempo. This is ideal for practicing fast, cycling phrases that require training and muscle memory--repeating legato phrases, tapping licks, sweeping licks, etc."

Here is a sample of an Yngwie lick. Try playing it at a slow speed and then bump up the tempo as you get the patterns under your fingers.

I'm looking for any feedback. This is a one-person non-commercial enterprise, and I'm just trying to share something that has been useful for me. You are helping me out by trying it in different browsers, so let me know if you hit any issues. This is all HTML5/CSS/JS, not Flash, so older browsers may not work well.

The save function gives you a URL that you can use to return to the loop. I don't have user accounts built yet, but will do so soon. At that point every user can have a list of their loops.

Thanks and please let me know what you think!

willyboy likes this.
  2. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

It's not ground breaking, but it is free and useful if one doesn't already have a tab program of some type.
    I tried it just to try it.
    The play button is paused, no matter what I do it won't play.
    Tried to save to a video, there was just an error message. I tried it twice.
    Listen to your demo, I would recommend a different sound. Maybe piano or something.

3. cheezit

cheezit Member

Thanks - what browser version and OS?

The sound is based on what the web audio APIs can do, which is basically a synth - but I plan to revisit this and see what tweaks I can apply.

4. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

5. cheezit

cheezit Member

Just tried it out on Win10 and it worked - I've got Quantum 57.0.3, which is a total redo of Firefox, so i also tried 54 (developer edition) with no problems. I did find an issue with Edge on Windows 10, but that's fixed now.

If you're willing to help me out further I'm sure I can sort it out but let's take it off here - I'll PM you.

6. Sascha Franck

Sascha Franck Member

Not sure whether it's supposed to work on mobile devices, but under Android the timing is *way* off, using either Samsungs browser or Chrome.
    And I don't see any options to alter the loop (so it'd play, say, back and forth instead of just into one direction).

7. cheezit

cheezit Member

I tried on iPhone and it's fine, though if the CPU drags it can bunch up notes a bit. I have an Android I can dig up and try. It's not supposed to be a super-duper high-fidelity player, just an audio cue to play along with, but if it's way off that's not useful.

Alter the loop? It's supposed to start at the beginning when it hits the end, and cycle through the loop forever. Are you wanting to go in reverse? That's not hard to add, and I can see that being useful. So if it were a four note sequence, it'd play 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4 and so on...

8. cheezit

cheezit Member

Okay, as suggested by Sascha I added a "playback" option in the settings dialog that has two values:
    Play loop and start again at beginning: this is the normal mode, it just cycles.
    Play notes back and forth: this is the new mode, it hits the last note and goes back through the loop in reverse. Neither the first or the last note are played twice, which sounds correct, but now a 4 note sequence will play in 6, a 5 note sequence in 8, a 9 note sequence in 16, etc.

I might add a "reverse" option just to torture those fingers some more.

Sascha Franck likes this.
  9. cheezit

cheezit Member

I used the 'back and forth' option to show some alternate-picking exercises I came up with years and years ago. I'd play an eight-note sequence, all downstrokes...then I'd add in the upstrokes to get a double-time alternate picking sequence...and i'd go back and forth between downstrokes only and alternate picking, like this.

Also added a 'reverse' option.

10. JonnyQ

JonnyQ Silver Supporting Member

I am always impressed by folks who can create such things, so kudos to you for learning how to code/program/design/execute the concept.

That said, because there are so many more fully realized commercial products with far more robust technical features and/or deep content libraries and/or real audio options, I could not see using this beyond a trial demonstration. Still impressed tho:aok

BenoA likes this.
  11. cheezit

cheezit Member

Thanks - software is my day job, but not front-end HTML stuff, so this started as a let's-try-it-and-see-if-I-can-make-it-work project.
    Can you provide examples of the commercial products you have in mind? I think my goals are both more modest and different than a full-on tab editor. With FretLoops, I can send a link to you and you can open it up without installing software, downloading files, or spending $30. But honestly, since this started the way it did I haven't been spending much time checking out other tools to figure out what the differences are. So any comparisons are useful.

I do think the audio can be improved and if that puts people off I can certainly work on that.

12. Buduranus2

Buduranus2 Member

Got the pun: FretLoops – Froot Loops.

13. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I works for me. The sound is a little grating and the EQ graphic does nothing, but it still does what it is intended to do. I would use something a little less hairy for a synth. I like it.

win 10 - chrome

14. GottaPracticeMore

GottaPracticeMore Member

It works on my iPad Mini. The Yngwie lick was interesting. Will the page have any kind of lick library so we can work on licks we don’t know? I’d be interested in checking out some basic Van Halen riffs.

15. adauria

adauria Member

Works pretty well on Win 10 with latest Chrome. This is very cool - thanks!

I would be great to be able to pull in standard tab format files or pull tabs from URLs or something, if you need something else to work on :)

-Andrew