Frets installation on a fretless

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by purestmonk, Feb 27, 2009.

1. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

Im thinking to get a Fender jaco fretless. Is it possible to then retrofit frets on it? Is there any things that I should be aware of?

Cheers

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I think you'd probably be better off replacing the neck.

3. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

cooooool suggestion, loving it
    cheers

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

Yeah, I would just replace the neck. BUT, if you were going to be so bold to try, you'd have to make sure your fret slot was in the PERFECT position. I am sure it can be done they sell all the tools you would need at www.stewmac.com but I think it would be easier to just replace the neck.

Let me know if you would need further assistance and I can try to point you in the right direction but keep in mind the accuracy of the fret slot has to be VERY precise otherwise you're gonna have intonation problems and possibly a MASSIVE headache...

Good luck though.

Chris

PS The ability to go from fretless to fretted would be cool anyways so....another reason for getting a second neck.

5. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

thanks again countandduke, that's a very good point! intonation!
    =)
    cheers!

6. jay42

jay42 Member

I would think that a) the Jaco Pastrami fretless model's neck would have good resale value b) they must make a similar relic'd model that has frets, so buy that instead.

7. purestmonk

purestmonk Member

the fretted model is hard to find and much more expensive =)

8. jay42

jay42 Member

There's a Road Worn series Jazz bass in 3-tone sunburst for $1,250 at MF, for example. I played a couple of the strats. They seemed perfectly fine and I liked the '59 style neck quite a bit. For that price, you could replace all the hardware & electronics and still keep it reasonable. The JP Jazz is $2,150 at MF. hth

9. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

Forgive me for asking, but why on Earth would you purchase a $3K fretless bass (pending you want the relic version) just to convert it to a fretted bass? What is about the Jaco that is so special that you're thinking of doing this?

Just buy an MIA J bass, remove the pickguard, wire it up for 2 volumes and a master tone with vintage pickups...done.