Frets "tapering" down…?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sigmund Floyd, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Sigmund Floyd

Sigmund Floyd Supporting Member

I have a recent model LP with nibs. It seems there's a slight tapering down of the fret as it nears the nib. Is this common with nibs? Shouldn't the fret be level across? Is there any thing that can be done? thanks!

2. Sigmund Floyd

ttt…. anyone? It's a 2013 Les Paul Signature T

3. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Post a picture of what you are seeing.
    Does this "tapering down" cause the string to slip off the edge or cause any other performance problem?

4. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Do you mean the height of the fret is different - meaning that the radius of the curve on the fret top is smaller than the radius of the fingerboard?

Or do you mean the width of the fret narrows as it approaches the nib?

"Level across" implies flat, right? And I don't think you want that.

5. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

It's called a curved radius...next question.

6. Sigmund Floyd

I'll post some pics later. For 2-3 millimeters the fret drops down to meet the nib better. This, once in a while, causes the high e to slip off, as well as making the "useable" playing area seem smaller. Add that it's a thin neck and maybe the nut is cut a tad off (i'll post a pic of this)…. maybe nibs and 60's style neck is not for me but I'd like to hear some thoughts from the TGP

7. SamBooka

SamBooka Member

Oh.. I thought he was saying the nibs were protruding above the crown of the fret..

8. Sigmund Floyd

here's some pics, it might be just fine or how it is with nibs but not onlyis the nib there the fret kinda tapers down to meet it.... doesn't the high e cut on the nut look a little wider than the others...? thanks for the help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Supporting Member

Looks like the spacing between the e & B is greater than the spacing between any of the other strings...

10. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

That spacing is for The Lo E to be where you're high E is. In other words it i strung left-handed. This is usually okay but you have a nut that someone has used a compensated ruler or a spacing ruler. This is where the lower strings are farther apart than the higher strings. Which is good except in this case it's absolutely 100% backwards. The nubs look normal to me but the binding since it is The normal thickness in current production it has the problem of reducing the overall usable fret. Look at older models and you will notice that the fingerboard binding is much thinner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken

11. dotmkr

dotmkr Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ken[​IMG]

I'm trying to show a picture of the nut on one of my guitars that is compensated spacing.[​IMG]
    The last picture is a 59 335 this showsthe then normal thin binding. Well maybe not so good at them illustration since this one has the nubs filed off.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  12. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

That is made up, unless you mean the radius of the curvature in which case, that has to do with optics. Next ;)

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i see this all the time, gibson frets that are themselves taller in the middle than towards the ends, as opposed to being the same thickness all the way across and thus following the board radius. (not to be confused with epiphone frets which appear taller in the middle because they're sprung up out of the wood!)

not a big deal until you go to file the nut slots using the stacked feeler gauges method and discover your gauge stack is just right under the Es but too low under the G and D string :puh

14. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

What's "Made up" ? That the Fingerboard has a curved radius ?...splain please.

15. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Semantics. The radius of a circle is a straight line. The surface of the fingerboard is an arc, not a radius. You mean the radius of the circle that describes the fingerboard arc.

16. poolshark

poolshark Supporting Member

Given the 2-3mm clue, I think I understand the question - OP is concerned that the edge bevel extends into the fret itself, rather than just the binding. I agree that it's kind of a low angle, but I understand that's just how Gibson does it. I bet you'd see a similar fret end profile on Gibson's unbound necks - just without the binding/nibs.

17. Sigmund Floyd

thanks poolshark and all, I'll get a new nut made and a good set-up… and play it!

18. AbstractLunatic

AbstractLunatic Member

What exactly do you think a radius is?

19. mellecaster

mellecaster Member

Evidently the same thing all string Instrument makers and Stewart McDonald do....How bout You ?

Elcounte likes this.