Freyette Power Station & Komet Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leftyman, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

Just curious if anyone out there has tried the Power Station with any Komet amps. It seems certain amps work better than others. A while back I had a Concorde and every attenuator I tried didn't work very well.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  2. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

I've owned a K60 and a Concorde. I sold them both for being to loud. I've owned the Power Station with a couple of amps. I can't imagine a better rig than a Komet and a PS.

Dave_C likes this.
  3. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

I too am very interested in hearing from folks on this one. Please share if you have experience!

4. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

I'm pretty sure PurpleJesus has both... I can guarantee it's an amazing combination. Probably one of the best in existence today.

5. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

Did you try the PS with the Komets or you'd already sold them when you got the PS?

6. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

I already sold them. I had a Faustine which was great at the time but doesn't compare to the Power Station. I don't think there's any NMV amp out there that the Power Station wouldn't be awesome with.

Dave_C likes this.
  7. bcmatt

bcmatt Member

I have neither a Komet or a PS, but I have a a clone of each an Express and a Liverpool, and I will often use them with my Badcat Unleash... and they work great together; especially with the FX loop option since my amps already have Variable Voltage Regulators for volume.
    So, I think a PS should be pretty ideal for a Komet.

8. Oatie

Oatie Member

Anyone seen Hogy around?

9. HazelGoatee

HazelGoatee Member

I have the both K60 and PS. It's a great combination! And in fact, the PS work great with my every amp.( two Park, two Metropoulos, and a Komet K60)

65DuoSonic likes this.
  10. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

I recall seeing him in the pub earlier, discussing a motor oil dilemma.

Where's PurpleJesus? As someone pointed out earlier, he has a Komet and a PS.

PurpleJesus likes this.
  11. Leftyman

To this day the Concorde is the one amp I have owned that still haunts me. I sold it because it was too loud and every attenuator I tried just squashed the tone. Seems like the PS is working well for a lot of people out there. The effects loop, if I were to use it, would just be a bonus.

12. 57gold

57gold Member

Believe that Hogy was lent a PS by a friend.

Many have read about his re-amping rig approach here. PS does that with one box.

Be interested in his views. One of TGP's best friends, tone experts and resources!

Enjoyed hearing his K19 at Comet central, BR, LA.

13. Leftyman

I had a Faustine Phantom with the Concorde and I thought it sucked. It took all the mojo out of the amp and made it sound like a run of the mill EL34 amp. If Hogy got his hands on a PS, I am hoping he chimes in. I would be very interested to hear his thoughts and opinions.

14. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

I own both a Phantom and a Power Station and the latter is very clearly a notch above the former. The Phantom definitely pushed the state of the art at the time, but Fryette has taken it yet a step further. I have tried the PS with 6 different amps and it has sounded amazing with all of them. I'd be very surprised if it didn't perform the same way with Komet amps.

15. Dave_C

Dave_C Member

Agree. If you get the design right, it doesn't matter which amp you use. Fryette got the design right.

16. 57gold

57gold Member

Input from Komet: Sounds good, not endorsed as not evaluated for safety of use/potential for long term impact on their amps.

Given Hogy's work with re-amping, wouldn't be surprised if we eventually see a Komet product that is their spin on a re-amper.

Though, believe that they have a new amp in the works for the coming year.

17. Crash-VR

Crash-VR Member

When the Power Station first came out Hogy made a joke about it being his idea and posted a link to a thread he started about reamping. His post is on the first few pages of the giant PS thread if I remember correctly.

18. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Indeed, and I'm lucky to have both :).

PS and the Komet 60 sound amazing together. I haven't tried it yet with the Songwriter bc the volume just isn't nearly as intense.

Also, the effects loop on the PS works brilliantly w the Komet. Delay and reverb after the power section sounds amazing and wouldn't be possible without the PS. A+++ kit.

Dave_C and dsmc80 like this.
  19. Jujo

Jujo Supporting Member

PJ - can you tell us more about how you run them together? Where are you putting the volume on the K60? 12:00? 2:00? And you can bring it down to speaking volume using the PS? And it's all good? No artifacts, weirdness, sacrifices, unpleasantries?

20. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't use any drive or boost pedals w the 60 so volume stays around 3:00-4:00 in Fast mode and I use guitar volume and picking strength to dial in how my drive I want.

It 'sounds' the exact same at damn near speaking volumes BUT you lose the speaker moving the air so it 'feels' different. Amp feeds back like it does unattenuated and still sounds absolutely amazing. I do push the presence on the amp a little when I use it this way.

The way I typically run it is attenuating it down to just a solid guitar amp volume. Like a loud Deluxe. That's probably about half its normal volume and when I run it like that I don't have to change anything on the tone stack and start to get the speakers involved. That's really when the Komet and PS combo is at its best and bc the PS is so easy to adjust volume in tiny increments dialing in the right amount is super easy.

Also, effects loop. Can't speak highly enough of adding that feature to a Komet.

Let me know if you've got any more questions, guys.