FRFR - 12, 10 or 8?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pat6969, May 6, 2015.

1. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

So, I've been mostly using a bandmates ZLX12P with my 11r but I'm looking at buying one for myself. I got into the modeling game because I was sick of packing heavy tube heads and cabs around, plus I'm really digging the variety of tones available at the flick of a switch.

Anyway, I have been killing the low end through the monitor with the 100Hz built in crossover in the ZLX, sounds absolutely killer, I use the crossover in our main PA at about 100Hz as well for my guitar. So, it got me thinking about the need for a 10 or 12 inch driver. If I'm taking out the low end boominess anyway with the x-over could I just go with a QSC K8 or other quality 8" monitor? Easier to pack around as well. Just wondering if the 8" driver will sound similar to the 12 above that cut-off frequency.

2. Pat6969

I take it nobody uses an 8 inch?

3. maxx77

maxx77 Member

i use in the rehearsal room, but its an old Alto...PS2 or something, and the only positive thing is that i can hear my self. other than that..it sucks:S
    Dont know if the problem is the monitor itself, or if it is the size...

4. hobbes1

hobbes1 Member

try a search here on the QSC K8....sometimes it can be hard to find relevant threads with the search engine requiring four letters to initiate search. There is a lot of info about experiences with the K8....lot of people like it.

Ultimately, you're probably going to either go to GC and sit down and audition various ones side by side with your gear or you are going to have to pony up and buy one, try it...return if necessary.....repeat until you find your keeper.

5. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I've tried a few 10" FRFR setups and with the clean and mid-gain tones, it works nicely. With the heavier drop-tuned stuff, not very well.
    Go for a 12". I would have bought an Atomic CLR but supply issues from the manufacturer as well as the shipping and duty costs to bring it to my area were cost prohibitive. I tried a few including the Line6 L2M and L2T and they were nice but as soon as I got into the heavier patches on the Kemper, they would squash the sound.

I didn't have access to them but the Mackie 1221HD and the Yamaha DSR112 are supposed to be great with an FRFR setup. The EV stuff seems to have a solid following as well.

I wasn't able to find a good FRFR setup that worked for me on stage and went back to a tube head and small cabinet and in many gigs I do, I just bring the head and a Two-Notes live. They have a half decent monitor system as most of my gigs. I think they are RCF or something like that. A small 1x12 cab can be used if I need a better monitor.

6. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

I think you want a K10 or K12... the ZLX are good, but the QSC is better

7. Pat6969

Thanks guys, I'll try the search. I live in northern Canada with the closest fully stocked music store about 2 hours away. Trying to get a lot of info before I order something.

8. maxx77

maxx77 Member

but the QSC K12 is more the double of a EV ZLX12

9. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'm very happy with my Alto TS110a and it seems to get a lot of love around here. Lightweight, sounds great and very reasonable price. That's my recommendation.