• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

frfr for boss gt-1

Berto1234

Trying to keep it under $600 my top picks right now are the zlx-15p and the yamaha dbr15

I play mostly metal on a sevenstring and I like to play really loud my harbinger v212 isn't cutting it.

Garhel

I use an Alto TS212 with mine. Works well, but have just ordered a 210 version so I can mess around with some stereo, but also to tighten up the low end. The 12s can get a bit boomy at volume on some stages. I'm assuming the 15 in your choices refers to 15" speakers. I'm not sure I would go that way - you may just find flubbiness there! If it is volume you are thinking about, the latest generations of 10 and 12s deliver more than enough to keep up with a loud drummer.

Berto1234

So the 15 inch cab would be flubby ok good to know I don't want flubby but I do like alot of bass I want something that can handle a seven string guitar at loud volumes whatever I get is going to be daisy chained to my harbinger v212 cab.

I would like to buy a good quality speaker I already have the cheap harbinger and want to move up a couple of steps in volume and quality.

hippietim

If you play metal, the low end FRFR speakers are soul stealing ear piercing boxes of misery. So many of them have such exaggerated highs and lows so they seem impressive when playing Kenny G CDs at Guitar Center.

I would highly advise that you save a little more and go for the Atomic CLR or Matrix FR12. At a minimum spring for the extra $75-100 for QSC K10s.

Berto1234

If you play metal, the low end FRFR speakers are soul stealing ear piercing boxes of misery. So many of them have such exaggerated highs and lows so they seem impressive when playing Kenny G CDs at Guitar Center.

I would highly advise that you save a little more and go for the Atomic CLR or Matrix FR12. At a minimum spring for the extra $75-100 for QSC K10s.

I ended up buying the jbl prx715 tried it against the Ev zlx12 , zlx15 and alto ts212 ,ts215 and the jbl prx715 destroyed all the other cabs I even orderd a prx712 so I can daisy chain the 12 and 15 together both combined it was less than $1000 thats 50% off the normal price. Do you think the atomic or the matrix would be a better choice? I have 30 days to exchange the Jbl's but Iam pretty impressed with the sound and price I bought these for. If the atomic clr or matrix fr12 are better I would return the jbl's I just need to hear them first.

hippietim

I'm not familiar with the latest PRX series. Years ago when I demoed them I didn't like the exaggerated lows and highs. So I can't provide you current insight other than the FR12 sounds very good and the CLR is a another level above that.

Thanks - you plug a standard guitar cable into the FRFR or does it need a speaker/cabinet cable? (I don't even know if they're any different to guitar cabled? Lol)
Not sure about other powered speakers, but my Alto TS112A accepts a normal 1/4" guitar cable. It can also accept XLR.

rsm

I use unbalanced 1/4" TR (instrument) cables from my modelers (GT-1) into my FRFR monitor; from there (stereo out from the monitor) I use balanced / XLR (or you could use TRS) cables to the PA which often has a longer distance.

Berto1234

Now you guy's have me thinking do i use a 1/4 to 1/4 speaker cable or instrument cable from my boss GT-1 to my frfr cab? I've been using instrument cable from the mono out.

never mind I didn't read the above posts right I use instrument cable.

Last edited:

Berto1234

I just received my second prx cab quick question when I use them like monitors laying down do I position them with the tweeters next to each other woofer tweeter tweeter woofer or woofer tweeter woofer tweeter? I hope that makes sense.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom