FRFR Monitor: RCF NX 12-SMA ...vs... qsc k12 ... vs ... anything else???

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by French Fry, Feb 22, 2012.

1. French Fry

French Fry Member

RCF NX 12-SMA
    QSC k12
    --- others in sub $1.5k range?

Interested in hearing about their ability to carry a room, and how much thump they can bring in a hard rock setting.

Could I really hang with a 4x12 with just one of these?

I'm not really too interested in the EQ flavor differences at this point. I guess I think I can adjust accordingly elsewhere.

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I've worked with guys on their rigs that used the K12 and I own the NX 12-SMA.

Assuming you are discussing using one (or two) of these speakers as a backline with no FOH support:

The RCF NX 12SMA can hang with 412's but depends on what you are doing. You can carry a decently mid-sized room from stage *if* you mount it on a speaker stand. I've done that. One negative with the NX when doing that - the connectors all stick out of the TOP when it is pole mounted. It's awkward.

Best case scenario would be two of them mounted on a pole for excellent coverage of a room far beyond what a beaming 412 could do. Other than standing in front of the 412, it doesn't really cover a room even if the stage is elevated very high... and even then, the direct beaming will kill small animals, old people and children. (Rumor has it.... ) ;)

I will also say that the best case scenario is using these things as a direct personal monitor for you with full FOH support for your guitar. That is the best practices method of running FRFR IMHO.

I am not a fan of the K12 and of that line, favor the K10 over the K12. The K12 has some weird stuff in the mids and lower mids IMHO.

IMHO, YMMV. (Please don't kill me if you don't agree with me).

3. French Fry

French Fry Member

Thanks Scott

I definitely plan on using it as a stage monitor for 90% of the time, but need the flexibility to handle different situations. It's not impossible that it might be called on to compete with other amps.

Basically I'm looking to build out a small footprint modeling rig that can do it all. I haven't heard the K10's but I guess I'm of the mindset that I need a bigger speaker if it's going to be pushed as a main.

4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I had a chance to demo both this past weekend, and I OWN a K12! They both are loud as can be, and I will give the nod to the RFC as far as overall sound quality with my Axe Fx Ultra. As I told Scott via the helpful PM's he's been exchanging with me to get my rig up and running. The RFC is on my radar loop.....I'm just going to stick with the K-12 for now until I get comfy with the whole rig set-up live. :munch

5. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

right now I have a RCF NX12SMA, a K10, a Xitone 1x12 (eminence lta) and a 2x12 cab loaded with WGS Brits, I'm using a Matrix gt800 when necessary

For me the RCF is absolutely fantastic and a big improvement over the K10, kudos to Scott and the others for doing the legwork, as soon as I plugged it in I went ... Wow, so that's what it's supposed to sound like, great job RCF!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  6. ejecta

ejecta Supporting Member

Agree. Once I got the RCF I was like....... oh that's what a good FRFR monitor sounds like. I've been very pleased with running my KPA through it.

7. tvegas99

I continue to be incredibly impressed by the RCF, I like guitar cabs with my Axe 2 but this RCF is really amazing, I find it punchy and articulate and it has a ton of headroom... if FRFR has never been your thing, this might be your game changer, it certainly is mine... just with the stock cabs on the Axe 2 for now and wow... I'm extremely happy, not EQ'ing much

FWIW, Mike at Audiopyle is great to deal with and he gives TGP/Fractal discounts

This RCF should be required listening to show the potential of modeling ... I'm sure there are other great alternatives out there, but for me using FRFR this is the rig I thought the Axe could one day become... if you had two of them?? it'd be insane...

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Damn... I want one. But, not in the cards right now. I am doing okay with the EV live X 112P. I think that the EV could carry a room even setup as a wedge behind me, it can get very loud without sounding like it's going to implode (like some other speakers I have tried in the past).
    Someday soon I will grab the RCF, it's probably the last piece of the puzzle.

9. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

If you can wait a few months you might want to wait for the Atomic CLR's to come out and through them into the mix.

10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

True. News and interest on the CLR has waned a bit around here and we also have offerings from XiTone and of course Matrix now in the mix as well. A year or two ago people (myself included) were complaining about this hole in the modeling market where top notch solid state power amps and dedicated, purpose built FRFR systems for use with guitar processors were scarce... my how things have changed!

11. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Member

How do these do as a general monitor? I don't do one monitor for guitar and one for band monitoring. I'm sure they are great.... Gear Page Gas continues....

12. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

13. BBAKE1

BBAKE1 Member

I still rock my FBT 12ma's and they sound fine to me.

14. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

I think it would be a shame to spend all that money on a box that does not do well with vocals, drums or other instruments. My K10 monitors all instruments and vocals well, I suspect that the RCF will be as good or better. I could be completely wrong but I suspect boxes like the atomics, matrix boxes may not be designed for this use.

15. Doozy440

Doozy440 Active Member

I was about to pull the trigger on the RCF NXSMA for my Kemper. Reached out to Tom at Atomic and was told the CLR is right around the corner. I'm using the EV ELX112p until that bad boy hits the market. So RIGHT NOW the RCF is king. After Winter NAMM ...anybody's guess.

16. FrankyNoTone

FrankyNoTone Member

When I think of coaxial speaker designs, I think of car speakers, which is a very constrained application. And it appears that magic mojo is creeping in to PA systems... which is a shame since it is a no-nonsense acoustic engineering space.

But for true FRFR, I don't think any live sound rig can match a good hifi audio system. Like, you don't see midrange 12 inch drivers for very good reasons.

17. ottoman

ottoman Supporting Member

so how would you compare the Matrix + cab to RCF NX12SMA ?

I have a 2x12 shiva cab (V30)s, can't decide whether to buy a matrix or go with the RCF.

Thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  18. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

once i tried the k12 i was sold.
    i use them for all kinds of sound reinforcement. modeler? yup. front of house? yup. these love acoustic guitars, by the way. DJ gig? yup.
    i now have two k12s and a k10 in addition to stacks of other speakers/monitors. . . the k12s and k10 are my go-to for my duo, for larger bands, and for DJ gigs.
    no question they can hang with a 4x12 marshall cab. i was hardly able to turn ONE of them up even halfway at a recent event i had in a gymnasium. they're LOUD.
    haven't heard the RCF, and it's too late for me now anyway. i got two new k12s for the price of one of the RCF and i'm blown away by the sound.
    .. . . and let's not forget that a cat like zentman (please tell me you've heard his clips) runs around playing his axe fx through the GC Alto speakers and is happy.
    pick your price point - move forward. . . don't look back.

19. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

and don't forget the EV line. also very nice.
    and i'll add the jbl series
    AND, the qsc KW 122

20. tvegas99

I like to think of FRFR and power amp/cab as completely seperate/different, they can share the same sandbox, especially when using a great FRFR like the RCF - one obviously will represent a tube head/cab and the other represents something new/still under construction, still to be determined imho... if you are ready to move to FRFR I feel the RCF is mandatory... others have tried far more options than I have... a lot of the FRFR's are too PA'y for me... the EV's especially... I find the RCF's to be amazing, part tube/amp feeling and part FRFR, after I tried them I immediately thought , "oh, so that's what it's supposed to sound like, wow... it feels great as well, now I get it"... there's nothiing else I've tried that has done that for me... I can't wait to try some other options for fun and experience, like the JBL's or new Atomics... it's hard to imagine much more improvement over what RCF has accomplished... I'm sure it will come eventually... my guess is they will be a benchmark for some time