FRFR: QSC K10 vs RCF 310A

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by weshunter, Feb 22, 2012.

What is my best option with my Axe FX standard?

1. QSC K10

2. RCF 310A

3. another comparable FRFR

4. stick with tube amps and keep the modeler in the studio

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

I want to buy a powered FRFR speaker for my Axe FX standard. I think I've narrowed it down to these two. I play in a cover band that gigs doing dance tunes and classic rock stuff, I play alt. country and jamband style original stuff, and I lead worship. So I don't do anything high gain, but I'm always lead guitar and play a lot of solos.

I'm not considering the 12" counterparts to these options, because of the weight. But it's possible that down the road, I might pick up a second of whatever I get to run in stereo, provided that I like it enough to sell one or more of my tube amps.

I'm interested in everyone's experience with these two options: do you think either or both would be enough to gig with? Is one better than the other? upsides/downsides of either? Anything else in the price range I should be considering?

2. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

I haven't owned a K10 but I did own a K8 and I now own a 310A. Given my experiences, I prefer the 310A. Comparing the sound in the room to what I get on my recordings, I think it's a more honest representation of the modeled sound. With no changes to the model, the K8 sounded better than the 310A, but that was a result of the K8 artificially tightening the low end. The result was that all of my recording were coming out bottom heavy.

Given my experiences with a pair of rental K8s, I also think the 310A construction method will hold up better over time.

3. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Never tried the 310A but have owned a K10 for about a year (its gone now) i replaced it with 2 EV Live 112P's and although these are 12's, the weight isn't that much different, and these are wood instead of ABS. Bottom end is more natural to me and the highs are smooth. they weigh 41 lbs each compared to the QSC which is a 10" speaker which weighs 32 lbs. I run these in stereo with my Axe II and it sounds incredible. Just a thought

4. weshunter

wow -- those EV's do look like good options

5. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Yeah, and i picked up the pair and a set of Heavy Duty Ultimate Speaker Stands for about $1100...and at 1000 watts each, these will rock live or in your bedroom

6. weshunter

i just pulled the trigger on the the EV ELX 112. Got it with a Gator bag from Proaudiostar -- so here goes my first try at FRFR.

The wooden cabinet really sealed it for me.

7. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Your in for good times and PAS in Brooklyn rocks...enjoy

8. weshunter

yeah -- thanks for the tip

the RCF looks like a good option too, but for $100 more I get the wooden cabinet and enough volume that I know I can hang with anything.