FRFR question

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Pat6969, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Pat6969

Pat6969 Supporting Member

I just want to ask the knowledgeable people on this site about buying an FRFR cab for my 11r. I have the 11r and a Rocktron Velocity 300 amp, I love the sound I'm getting through my 2x12 Recto cab but I have the cab sims turned off. I was hoping to utilize the sims so I was thinking of getting a monitor. Now do you think I'm OK going with a passive and using the Velocity for power or are the amps in the active monitors made to make them sound their best? I'm looking at the EV ZLX series as I've read some good reviews.

2. MoPho

MoPho International Man of Leisure Silver Supporting Member

You might want to turn the non-volume knobs (sorry, can't remember what they're called) to zero. I had the Rocktron amp but sold it for funds and use a Crown power amp I had for other purposes. Sounds about the same to me. I use two passive wedges made by Boogafunk that have Beyma "full range" drivers. I'm happy with this setup. Also, check out the CLR if discretionary funds allow.

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

I use a QSC K10, but any quality FRFR will do, honestly. The 11R has enough EQ built in that you should be able to find a tone you like. Find the FRFR that you get the best deal on.

4. willy_907

willy_907 Member

It all depends on your budget , if you have the money the best thing out there for modelers is the Atomic clr , or the Mission Enginering gemini wich in my opinion is awesome and looks like a cab, if you are on a tight budget the alto ts112a or ts115a are very good...

There are lots of options out there...

5. Chris O

Chris O Member

If I were you, I'd stick to your current setup. I love the 11R thru a power amp/cab, but was really underwhelmed by the cab/speaker/mic sims.

Before you spend the cash, you might want to "demo" something just to get a feel for what you're going to hear. You may/may not like it.

I liked the Axe & Kemper thru FRFR though. Probably the Kemper more -- the Axe sounds amazing thru anything. The Pod...meh...I kinda like that thru a real cab too.

6. tremonti

tremonti Member

Bang for the buck it's hard to be the EV ZLX. While I don't use it for the monitoring of the AFX personally, I do use it for the front of house and sounds excellent through that. But it's a great speaker for the money

7. Pat6969

Ya, we use 2 ZLX15P's for our FOH with 2 118 subs, sounds killer! That's why I was thinking of getting a passive 12 for my monitor.

8. randombastage

randombastage Member

rent one and see if you really want to go down that rabbit hole.

9. Pickerman

Pickerman Supporting Member

As long as you are not a heavy modern gain player, consider the Line 6 Stagesource series of FRFR. They sound killer with all three modelers I've used with them. The POD HD500X was good, but the Two Notes Torpedo CAB was excellent, and currently my Axe II is amazing. I do not play high modern gain amp models, but I have tried them. The 10" drivers do not deliver a great punch for that sound in my opinion. All others (my band plays everything from Van Halen to Bruno Mars to Johnny Cash to The Kinks) sound awesome!

10. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Definitely do NOT get the stagesource stuff for the heavier tones. I rented one with my Kemper and it was awful with that setup. Clean and mid tones were great but as soon as I turned things up with the heavy patches, it squashed. I should have tried a Yamaha DSR112 but there were none to be found in my area. Still, I wasn't happy with the FRFR tones on stage so I went back to a head and small 212 cab with a Torpedo live. No more issues.

11. wcfields

wcfields Member

Agree. I have 2 ZLX12p's with my Axe-FX. Great sounding speakers.....

12. mojah

mojah Member

Rent a zlx first. I have 4 for mains but I use a jbl prx for my 11r. The zlx's are scooped sounding not flat. The horn is annoying after a while. But YMMV.

13. maxx77

maxx77 Member

an ev zlx and a jbl prx have a big $$$ dif to be compared

14. wcfields

wcfields Member

Sounds fine to me. I've tried several different powered speakers, and to me the ZLX's sounded the best....

15. Pat6969

So is the consensus that I buy a good passive monitor and use the Rocktron to power it?

16. barhrecords

barhrecords Member

The biggest change in going from a guitar cab to a powered wedge is having a horn HF driver pointed right at your ears vs. listening to 12" speakers off axis with your cab.

With cheap speakers, the high end can be brittle, the crossover point from the LF driver and horn can also be a problem area.

Check out the wedge spec sheet and find out the crossover freq.

17. shred440

shred440 Member

I'm using a zlx12p. It's been 4 months and I'm still very happy with it. I now don't use my 4x12 cab in my main rig which is similar to 4cm. Guitar> hd500 input>fx send> preamp of my Carvin Legacy III>TCAB> fx return> L xlr out> zlx12p>FOH. I use a midi thu box to control bothe my 3 channel head and the TCAB. I am very happy with this setup! I love my 4x12, but after a created a blended ir of it, I haven't looked back. I move around quite a bit on stage, and having an frfr sounds consistently good where ever I am as oppose to my cab, which sounds amazing at its sweet spot, but is very inconsistent elsewhere. Also, the zlx is light and takes up way less space than my cab.