FRFR size? Is 8" enough?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by DemonJr, Jun 11, 2019.

1. DemonJr

DemonJr Member

OK so i dont need to buy the Headrush 108. My Alto TX8 powered PA speakers will work fine as long as they are loud enough for my stage volume at a gig.

Thanks for the help.

2. markmann

markmann Member

Just curious... how close can you get to FRFR with a guitar amp? I know that some guys use guitar amps with their modelers with good results but then if you play through FOH or direct record it will sound awful. BUT, what if you set up your presets with FRFR and then EQ your guitar amp to suit? How close can you get?

3. mikeymoves

mikeymoves Supporting Member

Same. Great bang for the buck and LIGHT AF, which is nice.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Interesting. What 8” FRFR(s) do you like?

Anyone else feel free to chime in.

X-Mann likes this.
  5. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Member

:agree
    To add to this: for flat response, room acoustics and listening positions need to be taken into consideration, further throwing the idea of trve FRFR speakers right out the window.

Without modifications like adding a fabled Celestion FX12 200 and applying major corrective EQ, not very close at all.

Guitar speakers are limited in their range, about 75hz to anywhere around 6khz.

You can make do, I'm sure. I've done it but it's a real crapshoot sometimes. Cabinet sim into a cab usually sounds pretty bad.

Guitardave likes this.
  6. X-Mann

X-Mann Member

I’m really liking the Headrush FRFR-108’s a lot right now. I’m Playing with a pair instereo & cant believe the quality & volume of these things.

I also own a pair of Friedman ASM-12’s that I love, but they are crazy heavy.....So....I’m only gigging with the 108’s now.

I’ve been thinking of doing a new thread on my rig w/ some pics & videos.....So.....Hm.....Maybe I’ll skip a meeting this morning and post a few things up. :eek:

X

Zakor, Chocol8 and Jon C like this.
  7. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

As @Alex Kenivel responded, speakers designed for use in guitar combo amps and guitar cabs typically have dramatic rolloffs below about 70Hz or 80Hz on the low end and about 5Khz or 6Khz on the top end. By comparison, many PA type FRFR powered monitors have freq response specs from about 30Hz or 40Hz to above 20Khz. The cabinet construction and projection of the sound output is also very different between these two classes of products.

If your needs involve playing any full frequency range content through your monitors (such as production tracks, horns, keyboards, strings, etc.), this will sound very muffled through the vast majority of combo guitar amps and cabs.

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Member

I'm glad that you like the FRFR-108. I really wanted that to be my one-size-fits-all solution for bedroom to basement-jam levels. I have an HX Stomp, which finally stepped in and wiped out my pedal addiction. I also have a variety of other musical "toys", ranging from budget drum machines to Volcas to synths. And I'm hoping to get one of the 88-key digital pianos from Casio so I can re-learn piano later this year. The idea was "less amps, less gear, and one speaker box that could handle all of these things. I bought the FRFR-108 shortly after it was released, and it had plenty of volume. It was also 20 pounds, more compact than a 12" combo amp, and had a surprisingly full sound.

Unfortunately, I returned/flipped it within 3 weeks. The critical flaw was that it simply could not handle low end clearly. Clean notes on the low E string, or anything else bassy always sounded distorted, almost like a fuzz with a strange decay artifact. It was pretty easy to miss it, and maybe 80% of the stuff I would play wouldn't trigger it. But it was there, and very noticeable even at lower volumes. I asked around and we had a thread on it - I pretty much concluded this was just the physical limitation of a speaker this size.

I flipped it for an Alto TS312, which is basically just the FRFR-112. I hate that I need something this large and powerful just to get the sounds I want at like 1/8 of its volume capacity. I hate that I have to explain to my wife why I have this giant-looking DJ speaker as my "amp" in the basement now. But so far, it has done what I've needed it to do. As an added bonus, I can plug a bass guitar into it (also via HX Stomp) or anything else, and it will handle it easily. And it was inexpensive ($300) for what it does. I think for most people just looking to play guitar modelers out loud, the "FRFR" labeling is less important than personal taste and size/volume requirements. Just my decidedly non-expert opinion.

Alex Kenivel likes this.
  9. sliberty

sliberty Member

Hey Storm - thanks for the detailed post. I was leaning towards the FRFR-108 until I read this. Still don’t want the 112 though. Might give the Alto TS-310 a try. Middle ground on size and weight. Any experience with that one?