Fried StroboStomp Tonight

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MjCartney, Mar 16, 2008.

1. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

If You See Kay...

...tell her she might not want to power her StroboStomp off of the Line 6 output on a PP2 and try to power another effect pedal off of the Strobo's power out jack. Grrr.

I have had my Strobo on my board for 2 years without incident. Tonight I decided to add another pedal to the board (new flanger) & power it off of the Strobo. I've been powering the Strobo off of the 6th output of the PP2 in normal mode for 2 years. Since the Strobo draws about 80ma, I thought I'd flip the DIP switch to L6 mode so I could be sure there was enough power for my flanger. This was not as smart a move as I had thought it would be. As soon as I connected power to the PP2, the Strobo started arcing, smoking, and stinking. I pulled the plug instantly. Looking inside, there are fried SMDs (looks like caps) and soot by the output jack.

Figuring the worst, I checked out my new Flanger & fortunately for me it's fine, along with everything else on the board. I checked all cables and the PP2 out with a VOM, and everything seems good. No shorts, no bursts of current. I put a TU-2 in place of the Strobo, same cables, same setup, no problems. Works as it should.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

I've heard of others troubles with the StroboStomp being quirky, but I haven't heard of this before. I may have finally pioneered something in my life.

Maybe it was ball lightning, a power surge that only affected one output of the PP2's transformer, or perhaps Jesus really wants me to buy that PitchBlack tuner. All I know for sure is it was friggin' weird, my house still stinks of burnt circuitry, and I'm now in need of another tuner.

Frak. I wanted to buy another delay pedal instead.

2. Chadley

Chadley Member

Woah. That's crazy. Makes me second guess powering my Nova delay off the Line 6 output on my PP2.

3. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

I accidently fried my Strobostomp by plugging in an 18v power supply that I had not adequately marked. It was actually a pretty easy fix...I sent it to Peterson and got it back in about a week. Cost me $35. Not an expensive fix.

John

4. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

Uhh... doesn't flipping the switch on the L6 outputs of a PP2+ make that output 16 volts unregulated? Lots of pedals would get fried by 16 volts... you can hardly blame that on the SS.

5. MjCartney

Nope, I've got the plain PP2. Switch makes it 9V @ 200ma instead of 100ma. SS should be good for 9V 200ma or more, like what it gets from a standard Boss PSA-120.

6. MjCartney

Cool! Well, not cool that you fried one too, but cool that Peterson will repair it for a reasonable cost. I'll probably contact them to send it in, but I'm not sure I want to put it back on the board until I can figure out what happened & how to make sure it won't happen again. The TU-2 is working great for now. I probably won't be playing outside in the sun for awhile yet, so I can probably get by with it for awhile.

7. rastaman

rastaman Member

Did you switch the dip with the power on?

8. MjCartney

Nope. Everything was dark. The light show happened as I connected power to the board.

9. bbocaner

bbocaner Member

I don't think that's right, even on the plain PP2. I think the difference between the plain PP2 and the PP2+ is that the + is capable of providing 200ma regulated at 9v in the "normal" switch position. BOTH of them will do 16-17 volts unregulated with no load in the "option" position. The manual isn't real clear on this...

10. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

+1

Powering the Nova also sounds a bit risky to me.