Friedman Active FRFR Monitors!

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BWebb, Apr 22, 2015.

1. BWebb

BWebb Member

Not sure if this has already been posted, but Dave Friedman is releasing FRFR active monitors for use with Axe Fx, Kemper, Line 6, etc.

The price announced was $799 and according to Dave: "Should be available any day now. 500 watts celestial drivers. Punchy and not to bright like some full range cabs. They have a real Knock to them like a guitar cab would."

I currently have a CLR but I'm really interested in trying this. Along with being a great guy, Dave makes killer amps, so I have little doubt that this will be another great product.

Here are some pics: http://www.musik-produktiv.fr/friedman-asm-12-frfr-active-stage-monitor.html

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  2. tvegas99

tvegas99 Silver Supporting Member

wow, this will be very interesting, glad to see a popular amp designer taking a stab at FRFR

I can't wait to try it out

3. JPenn

JPenn Member

thanks for posting this. i plan to get a clr in the near future, but am always interested in alternatives.

4. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    I'm wondering what the weight might be on these, compared to a coaxial speaker.

5. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

This are a game changer. Thanks for posting.

6. randombastage

randombastage Member

doesn't do the coaxial thing. I guess it could still sound good but that is a mark against them in my book

7. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Why? Did you see that horn/tweeter?

8. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

It looks like you already lost that battle :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2015
  9. BWebb

BWebb Member

Nah, I bought it used and I'm looking to possibly add another monitor to run stereo. Hopefully 2 Friedman's are just the ticket.

10. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Silver Supporting Member

Cliff has two at the office and he says they sound really good with the Axe Fx.

11. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Yup, they sound really good.

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

13. jfsonic67

jfsonic67 Member

What does "they sound really good" mean? Do they enhance the sound of digital modeling units, so that they sound more like an amp in the room, or do they faithfully recreate the full frequency spectrum without any artifacts or embellishments? I know they're labelled as FRFR monitors, but not all of them are actually as flat as the CLR cabs...

14. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Every "FRFR" speaker is designed to be "flat" or "neutral" or whatever yet every studio monitor I've ever heard sounds different. Put two supposedly flat studio monitors side-by-side and they sound different. This includes very expensive Dynaudio, ATC, etc. Therefore one can conclude that no monitor is perfect. In the end what matters is how they sound. We put the Axe-Fx as well as program material through the Friedman (IOW a CD) and it sounded very good, like a nice, high-end speaker should. So that's what "they sound really good" means. Personally I prefer a good pair of near-fields as I only play at low volumes but for high volume applications these are worth a look.

15. davetone

davetone Member

This sounds very interesting! I'm really glad to see guitar amp manufacturers creating powered monitors. I'm thinking we'll see more of that in the future from different guitar amp makers as well.

Aside from FRFR, and jumping into the guitar amp (non modeling) world for a second, I'm not sure why more regular guitar speaker cabinets aren't made in the shape of a floor monitor. I'd love to have a tube amp with a regular speaker cabinet for a side-wash, and another speaker in a monitor-shaped cabinet for personal monitoring of the guitar sound.

On another note, I wonder how a "line out" from a regular guitar amp would sound into this powered monitor. That might be a fun combination. A small amp with a line out running into this powered monitor.

16. randombastage

randombastage Member

Yes, I saw it on a seperate axis from the other driver.

At close proximity and low volumes having the typical tweeter seperate from the low frequency driver creates a very non guitar amp effect to my ears. That's one of the things the CLR does well....the sound is 'singular' in a sense and that is good.

17. gregrjones

gregrjones Member

I have been in the market for an FRFR that is light like the NEO CLR (under 40 lbs) AND doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

The Friedman isn't too heavy on my wallet, but I'd need to know the weight.

But has anyone ever used something like the TC Helicon (TC Helicon Electronic VoiceSolo FX-150 Vocal Effects & Speaker FX150 Voice Solo)?

They claim it is an FRFR and not limited to Vox. I love the size & the price but I'm not convinced it would do the job.

I've considered getting a passive wedge FRFR to save weight & money and coupling it with an EH Magnum 44 or other pedalboard sized poweramp.

If any of you have other ideas, I'm all ears.

18. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

That's a pretty fair assessment. Since you've played both, any comparisons you could draw between the CLR and the Friedman? Any areas where one seems to excel over the other? The CLR seems to do fine at higher volume applications so I wasn't sure if your comment was solely focused on the Friedman vs near-field monitors, or if that was drawing comparison to any other FRFR cabs currently available? You have a great ear for tone so I'm genuinely curious as I have no dog in the fight (I do own a CLR, however I'm not really "tied down" to any piece of gear! :eek:).

19. rsm

rsm Member

Assuming your amp's line out has speaker emulation or you provide that (2Notes, Logidy), should sound fine.

My work in progress is to have my modeler work in three scenarios:

• standalone, direct to FRFR/FOH
    • as an effects-only into a pair of solid state amps for stereo (each of these amps have line out if needed)
    • recording, using either option above