Friedman ASC-10 initial review

Random Hero

Little bit of background - I'm using a Fractal AX8. I'm a professional and 95% of the time I'm on IEMs. Occasionally I've just used wedges if there's no IEM system in house, and that can be hit or miss, but generally fine.

Got one of the ASC-10s the other day for the gigs where there's no IEMs and I fancy a cabinet on stage. Initial impressions were how incredibly dark it sounded at home volumes. Took it to a gig last night and was much more impressed, though it is still dark - significantly darker than my Yamaha HS7 monitors, and Cosmic Ears IEMs.

Is this something that will break-in over time or is it always gonna be dark? I'm definitely leaning toward it being more preferable than a 20Hz-20kHz monitor of varying quality blasting at my face, but it feels like my tones which have really cutting top end aren't translated as well as they are in my ears.

I will add, I don't particularly care how accurate it is to FOH - that's FOH's job and not mine, and I dial my tones in on my ears on HS7s - but I dunno if the darkness is going to bother me over time. It does brighten up at higher volumes FWIW, but it's still darker than I expected I guess.

Even so, it does sound monstrously big for it's size, low end is very present, and it does offer a lot more of a "cabinet" sound on stage than a monitor ever has for me. I also quite enjoyed having a wedge in front and the Friedman behind - it created a pretty huge blend.

Any other users of the Friedman line here?

3dognate

Are you tilting the ASC10 on a stand? or elevating off the floor? Without doing that I'd imagine that it would sound dark compared to a wedge. The horn in that cabinet is going to have a fairly narrow side to side sweet spot at close distances. You'll need to reasonably point the cabinet at your head like a wedge.

Random Hero

Are you tilting the ASC10 on a stand? or elevating off the floor? Without doing that I'd imagine that it would sound dark compared to a wedge. The horn in that cabinet is going to have a fairly narrow side to side sweet spot at close distances. You'll need to reasonably point the cabinet at your head like a wedge.

I had it on top of my pedalboard flight case, angled up. As I say, it was way more balanced at higher volume than at home. I find it quite really quite dark at home.

MIJLOVER

Little bit of background - I'm using a Fractal AX8. I'm a professional and 95% of the time I'm on IEMs. Occasionally I've just used wedges if there's no IEM system in house, and that can be hit or miss, but generally fine.

Got one of the ASC-10s the other day for the gigs where there's no IEMs and I fancy a cabinet on stage. Initial impressions were how incredibly dark it sounded at home volumes. Took it to a gig last night and was much more impressed, though it is still dark - significantly darker than my Yamaha HS7 monitors, and Cosmic Ears IEMs.

Is this something that will break-in over time or is it always gonna be dark? I'm definitely leaning toward it being more preferable than a 20Hz-20kHz monitor of varying quality blasting at my face, but it feels like my tones which have really cutting top end aren't translated as well as they are in my ears.

I will add, I don't particularly care how accurate it is to FOH - that's FOH's job and not mine, and I dial my tones in on my ears on HS7s - but I dunno if the darkness is going to bother me over time. It does brighten up at higher volumes FWIW, but it's still darker than I expected I guess.

Even so, it does sound monstrously big for it's size, low end is very present, and it does offer a lot more of a "cabinet" sound on stage than a monitor ever has for me. I also quite enjoyed having a wedge in front and the Friedman behind - it created a pretty huge blend.

Does it have a low cut option? I use a Powecab plus, and I wouldn't describe it as dark, even when using the amp in the room sounds, it sounds balanced with regards to brightness. But it does have a lot of low end, being a closed back design and on the floor. But I just use the low cut (80hz) on the back and don't need to do more. Plenty of sizzle and clarity.
Maybe something similar could be done? Or you could eq some of it out from the AX8 before you hit the cab?

Random Hero

Does it have a low cut option? I use a Powecab plus, and I wouldn't describe it as dark, even when using the amp in the room sounds, it sounds balanced with regards to brightness. But it does have a lot of low end, being a closed back design and on the floor. But I just use the low cut (80hz) on the back and don't need to do more. Plenty of sizzle and clarity.
Maybe something similar could be done? Or you could eq some of it out from the AX8 before you hit the cab?
It does have a low cut, which I have turned on.

Yeah I've thought about perhaps using the Global EQ into the cab just to slightly brighten it.

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Sigh... I literally have this sitting in my shopping cart right now.

Pat6969

Lol!! Seems like the ASC-10 is like every other speaker on the market. Some like it, some don’t. Go figure. Still waiting for that magical FRFR that sprays money out of it every time I play, in the literal sense anyway.

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
The Friedman ASC-10 is a fantastic monitor solution for modelers and profilers. It sounds and reacts much better than the ASM-12 and ASC-12 versions which I also tried. Have to tilt my two ASC-10s towards me to get the best response, since the signal is much warmer than with any full range monitor I have tried. Sounds much more like a real guitar cab that also gives you some low end chunk that I can't get from any FRFR monitor cab I have tried yet. The cab is not too large nor is it too heavy. Price might be a little steep for what you are getting, but then again, there is nothing better out there in my opinion and I really tried all there is from Atomic CLR Neo, RCF NX 10,12,15, JBL SRX812, QSC K8.2, 10.2, 12.2, Xitone MB, Line 6 Powercab to Mission Gemini 2 (way too heavy) and of course guitar tube amps and cabs with my profilers cab sim off. The Friedman ASC-10 is really fantastic sounding and gives me more of that familiar response like playing a real amp plus guitar cab and it can get loud. The two ASC-10s together can easily move as much air than a single 412 with GBs driven by a 100 Marshall head if this is required. The 10" speakers are so much better than 12" for this purpose.

Last edited:

smj

My first thought was... dark compared to what?

Lately because our city is now 100+ days of lockdown, I've been using my headphones pretty much exclusively. Occasionally I'll put on my studio monitors if nobody is around and it does sound noticeably darker to me. I teach an ensemble in a region where classes are allowed and for fun I rented a Bose L1 compact.... I love the sound... but still darker. It will never be the same as wearing headphones which will give you a much more present sound.

Sean Meredith-Jones
www.seanmeredithjones.com

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
The Friedman ASC-10 is a fantastic monitor solution for modelers and profilers. It sounds and reacts much better than the ASM-12 and ASC-12 versions which I also tried. Have to tilt my two ASC-10s towards me to get the best response, since the signal is much warmer than with any full range monitor I have tried. Sounds much more like a real guitar cab that also gives you some low end chunk that I can't get from any FRFR monitor cab I have tried yet. The cab is not too large nor is it too heavy. Price might be a little steep for what you are getting, but then again, there is nothing better out there in my opinion and I really tried all there is from Atomic CLR Neo, RCF NX 10,12,15, JBL SRX812, QSC K8.2, 10.2, 12.2, Xitone MB, Line 6 Powercab to Mission Gemini 2 (way too heavy) and of course guitar tube amps and cabs with my profilers cab sim off. The Friedman ASC-10 is really fantastic sounding and gives me more of that familiar response like playing a real amp plus guitar cab and it can get loud. The two ASC-10s together can easily move as much air than a single 412 with GBs driven by a 100 Marshall head if this is required. The 10" speakers are so much better than 12" for this purpose.

I'm in complete agreement with this. I've tried a bunch as well. I also have 2 of them tilted up and for me, it just works!

_pete_

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is that your ears are used to monitors and IEM's. Guitar oriented cabinets will sound darker.
I haven't used amps since around 2008 and when I do, they sound 'odd' to me. I would try it for a while and see how your ears adjust.

I've been thinking about going back to an amp but I'm not sure if I'll be happy. I live in a condo where I can't get loud so I am right at this moment loading my stuff in the car to take to work where I can crank it (LIne 6 Helix and 2 Powercab 112+'s). I haven't heard it loud for at least a year so if it sounds good, I may stop thinking about Friedman amps (yeah, right).

BWebb

I have an ASM-12 and don’t care for it. Sounds like there is a blanket over the speaker. I much prefer the Atomic CLR.

cragginshred

I just pulled to trigger on an asm 12 and am anticipating it being more present in the upper mids. Likely pair it with my Xitone with has not real low end to speak of.
I used to pair the Xitone with the CLR and it was good. Each on their own are not that great.

I got a free Headrush 12 (Amazon did not want to pay for the return so they said keep it) and with the Xitone and pa for rehearsal it sounds good but on it's own the HR 12 lows are a wash of poo -no definition at all. That led me to the asm and ultimately to the 10!

Stay tuned for Vid review!

@rburkard thanks for chiming in, looks like you have owned more FRFR's than me :beer
@PBGas thanks as well, I needed the encouragement from fellow tone whores to pull the trigger!

Mark Shumaker

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up an ASC 10 recently for fun and so far I am not jiving with it at all. If any other users have any input or suggestions that would be great. The tech 21 deuce deluxe is the main monitor I use on stage with my helix. That translates very well to other full range PA systems and has a great guitar cab type sound and feel to it. The Friedman has a strange low mid thing going on that changes the tone drastically and also has a harsh, brittle feel to it for me at least. People talk a lot about the feel of different modeling devices but in my opinion a good portion of that is contributed by the monitoring system you are using with it.

I know there is a lot of love for the Friedman monitors out there so not sure what I am doing wrong. Perhaps nothing, this is all subjective of course. One last thought, I have not had a chance to try out the Friedman with my band yet, only by itself although quite loudly at home. I know that things can change drastically once the full band comes into the mix.

TheSchwartz

I’ve owned an ASM-12 and ASC-10, and both were quite dark (at least for my tastes.) I did enjoy the feel of both monitors, however, there was just too much disparity between the Friedmans and FOH, as I had to design my presets to be much brighter than normal to compensate for the darkness of the Friedman, which made the FOH signal too shrill.

One thing I tried was using an internal EQ block in my modeler (Axe-FX III in this case), to darken the signal going to FOH. This actually worked fairly well, and added practically nothing to the CPU load.

The other thing I tried was treating the ASC-10 as if it were a regular cab and mic’ing it. This seems counterintuitive, but I kind of liked the results at times.

So my horror movie trailer tag line of a conclusion is this: Though you can beat back the darkness, the darkness will always be with you.

MIke MM

I’ve owned an ASM-12 and ASC-10, and both were quite dark (at least for my tastes.) I did enjoy the feel of both monitors, however, there was just too much disparity between the Friedmans and FOH, as I had to design my presets to be much brighter than normal to compensate for the darkness of the Friedman, which made the FOH signal too shrill.

One thing I tried was using an internal EQ block in my modeler (Axe-FX III in this case), to darken the signal going to FOH. This actually worked fairly well, and added practically nothing to the CPU load.

The other thing I tried was treating the ASC-10 as if it were a regular cab and mic’ing it. This seems counterintuitive, but I kind of liked the results at times.

So my horror movie trailer tag line of a conclusion is this: Though you can beat back the darkness, the darkness will always be with you.

If you could only choose one, ASM-12 or ASC-10?

TheSchwartz

If you could only choose one, ASM-12 or ASC-10?

The 10 by far, primarily for portability reasons. The ASM-12 is 52 lbs, which isn’t super heavy, but the way it’s configured makes it difficult to carry. Also, whatever substance Friedman sprays on the covering makes the 12 slippery like an eel, so if you want to pole-mount it, for example, you almost always need two people. There’s a cab version of the 12, too, and I’d maybe go with that if you absolutely need a 12-inch speaker.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom