Friedman ASC-10 or Powercab

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by sertshark, Sep 13, 2019.

1. sertshark

sertshark Member

I really like the Helix through my tube amp, but I'm trying to: a) reduce the weight of gear I have to bring (my amp is HEAVY), and b) get better longevity/durability/consistency (I'm ready to scrap tubes and also not have to crank it to get it into that "zone"). I'm sure I'd be happy with either the Friedman or the Powercab/Powercab plus, but I'd like to know if any of you have an opinion on getting one vs the other, or if you have a preference, or experience with both. I like the amp in the room/backline effect, but I also wouldn't mind getting the backline sound maybe a little closer to what goes to the FOH (I go line to amp / XLR to FOH). It doesn't have to be exact, but closer to the FOH sound would be easier, especially when dialing in patches at home. If you have input regarding how they compare, that would be awesome. Thanks.

2. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Owned then both, kept the Friedman. Heavier but louder and sounds better to me. IMO better build quality too, the coating on the Powercab is very soft and I made marks on mine simply by putting one of my modelers on top of it.
    The said, no other product has the Powercab feature set, so if you want to run outboard cabs it's the only game in town.

PBGas and mdubya like this.
  3. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 Member

I have both the Powercab (not the plus model) and the ASC10. The Powercab is good, you can dial in the tone you hope for with some tweaking. I feel it is better with clean to mid gain tones rather than high gain but to my ear, it sounds more digital (lots of high end without that natural resonant warm low end although you can kick the tweeter off) but not that aitr that is claimed, especially if you A/B them side by side (which I have done). I am also not convinced by the speakers sims within, some are better than others, close but no cigar. The Friedman, hands down is the winner. The aitr is definitely there, sounds just like a real cab because it is a real cab. It is warm, woodsy and focused, not boomy although the low end is there, easily controlled using the 100hz filter on the back of the unit. That little 1-10 speaker can sound like a 212 and even close to a 412 cab in feel and sound. 500 real watts and plenty of headroom. It is a great unit and a keeper. I am selling the powercab if that is any indication of which one I prefer. You won't go wrong with the Friedman, from the reviews here on TGP, the ASC10 is a great cab for modelers.

PBGas likes this.
  4. mdubya

mdubya Member

For my $$$, the Friedman.

5. FPFL

FPFL Member

Question: ASC-10 owners, do you use standard IRs with the unit, or far-fields, or some blend?

6. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

I'm using the stock IRs in the Axe III with mine. Love my ASC-10 and ASM-10. Both great sounding cabs!

primal likes this.
  7. Saxon68

Saxon68 Supporting Member

For a LOT of your money ;-)

I’ve played Headrush and Friedman side by side and for my use, HR is fine.

8. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Interesting - I've yet to play guitar thru a full range monitor (with a tweeter/HF driver) that the high ended sounded natural to me unless it's shooting past my knees. The crossover and tweeter kick in at the exact wrong place. There's no place for tweeters in your guitar tone. Save that for the FOH.

I had the Matrix 12" (forget the model) as well as the Atomic Reactor and they all have that exaggerated high end response. Though the Matrix was really cab like in the lows/mids - with the exaggerated high end from the tweeter you could clearly tell it wasn't a guitar cab. I find it hard to believe the Friedman would be that different but haven't tried it directly.

So far the Powercab Plus gets my vote as being closest to guitar cab like but only if you use the speaker models (of which only a few sound great to me - though I haven't tried the new EV12L one out yet).

The real trick is to run the Powercab Plus in LF Flat mode. That's a DSP controlled LF driver only mode - just use a good IR and it sounds very natural with no work. Tried that with the Axe III as well as the Kemper. The standard Powercab doesn't have that option and the FRFR mode of the Powercab is "meh" in my book. If I was running only FRFR mode I'd pick something else. There's also a Raw mode which is the natural sound of the LF driver with no DSP is good but not always a match up.

Bottom line - if you have a Helix Floor/LT/Rack - I'd definitely get the Powercab Plus. To be able to run it via L6 link and have all those options means you'll find something that sounds great quickly.

Good luck deciding - if possible try them both out for yourself.

Guitarzman likes this.
  9. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

I have the Friedman. Love it, just ordered a second one!

10. rdrisk55

rdrisk55 Member

I use IR's with mine, usually OH Basketweave GNR or ML Sound Lab Freedman or OH FMAN, I have all of em. Probably favoring the GNR atm tho...

11. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

On my Axe-FX I've been using a mix of close-mic'd and far-field IRs. The Ares cab block makes this super easy.

FPFL likes this.
  12. FPFL

FPFL Member

Yes, the cab mix block is fantastic @MixMinisterMike, its my single favorite thing about the III vs II.
    That it auto balances for you is the real treat.

MixMinisterMike likes this.