• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Friedman ASM-12 Modeler/profiler powered monitor

retroLS1

Friedman just announced their ASM-12 500w powered monitor designed for Kemper, Axe FX, etc. Will be very interested to see how it is (and how it's priced). I haven't seen any pricing yet as I just read about it this morning but my guess would be in the $750-999 range. I have been very tempted by Kemper lately... haven't been able to pull the trigger and ditch my tube amp for one yet, mostly because I don't run IEM's and was more concerned with stage monitoring for myself. This may be the answer, assuming it isn't priced outrageously and gets good reviews.

http://friedmanamplification.com/products/stage-monitors/asm-12/

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
http://www.b-52pro.com/products/ACTPROSeries.html

Stock Google Image => http://www.123dj.com/speakers/b52/actpro12m.jpg

I could well be wrong but from the above links and other pictures Ive seen elsewhere, and from the specs on the Friedman and B52 sites, it does look like it could be a re-branded ACTPRO12M .

That's not in any way a bad thing - I just haven't seen much previous comment(s) about using a KPA or AXE with this ACTPRO12M .

Looking forward to initial reports and the [ inevitable ] CLR, DXR comparisons.

Ben

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Neat! Never tried the B52 stuff. Having the Friedman name on it may make me feel more like I have an actual amp....LoL!

Still, love the cosmetics of it! Looks great, probably sounds even better!

retroLS1

Ah good find, never even knew the B-52 existed. If it is essentially a re-branded B-52, then maybe the B-52 is a bit of a 'diamond in the rough' for folks looking for a good monitor solution. Will be interested to hear if maybe Friedman stuck a different driver in there or if it's essentially cosmetics and a Friedman nameplate on it. I love Friedman amps (and love how it looks) but if it's the same thing as a B52 at double the price, I'd go for the B52 all day. I apologize also if this should be in the Live sound forum but thought it might be appropriate here.

wedewer

B-52 stuff and the Friedman Stuff are made by the same contract manufacturer, so it would appear to me that only the cosmetics would be different. I like the look of the Friedman grill cloth better, but for something that sits on the ground and faces up, it might bet better to have the metal grill of the B-52 version.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
Man I'll just say it... What a crock of ****... The whole idea of monitors is for flat response, and many are using ground monitors that are in a product line that makes the FOH speakers that their very guitar tone is coming out of at a live show... Somewhere along the way it's gotten twisted that we need "special" monitors to hear our digital modelers...guitar players have made it just fine over their years hearing their guitar amp micd up through flat response ground monitors at shows, and if the Kemper is no different than a real amp under a mic ( I find this to be the case), why exactly do I need these "special" monitors that say Friedman on them? Talk about marketing to the fullest... I love Friedmans products, don't get me wrong, but this seems completely asinine and an idea twisted to make an insane amount of money...hell these are probably some of the last monitors I'd ever buy personally. Why wouldn't I buy a set of ground monitors from a product line that is entertaining the crowd in front of me?

richpjr

B-52 stuff and the Friedman Stuff are made by the same contract manufacturer, so it would appear to me that only the cosmetics would be different. I like the look of the Friedman grill cloth better, but for something that sits on the ground and faces up, it might bet better to have the metal grill of the B-52 version.
That MAY be true, but do we really know anything other than guessing by looking at specs?

wedewer

Man I'll just say it... What a crock of ****... The whole idea of monitors is for flat response, and many are using ground monitors that are in a product line that makes the FOH speakers that their very guitar tone is coming out of at a live show... Somewhere along the way it's gotten twisted that we need "special" monitors to hear our digital modelers...guitar players have made it just fine over their years hearing their guitar amp micd up through flat response ground monitors at shows, and if the Kemper is no different than a real amp under a mic ( I find this to be the case), why exactly do I need these "special" monitors that say Friedman on them? Talk about marketing to the fullest... I love Friedmans products, don't get me wrong, but this seems completely asinine and an idea twisted to make an insane amount of money...hell these are probably some of the last monitors I'd ever buy personally. Why wouldn't I buy a set of ground monitors from a product line that is entertaining the crowd in front of me?
When I first got my kemper I played through my studio monitors at home. Then the first 2 gigs I ran it through the monitors at the gig. Then picked up and Atmoic CLR off of Craigslist and finally got it. There was a huge difference to me.

VESmedic

Silver Supporting Member
When I first got my kemper I played through my studio monitors at home. Then the first 2 gigs I ran it through the monitors at the gig. Then picked up and Atmoic CLR off of Craigslist and finally got it. There was a huge difference to me.
Sure, absolutely I have no doubts. My point is, for 50+ years we have been hearing our reference tone thru ground monitors: I myself have 2 Yamaha Dxr 12s that do a great job: they reflect my tone coming thru the FOH to roughly 95-99 percent of what is actually coming out of the FOH. That is the very point of ground monitors: for referencing your tone that is coming out of the FOH. So why do monitors need to now change? I want FRFR/whatever you want to call a PA speaker, not some new marketing spin that is vastly overpriced that sounds like it's actually not doing what what ground monitors are supposed to do... How is this speaker " specifically made" for modeling? Why would any one want that? Again, I want frfr, to hear what I actually sound like thru the FOH: not a colored version of it.

benifin

Silver Supporting Member
These units are $799 US - confirmed by Dave.
I'll be getting some
That's like US $200 <-> US$250 more than the B52 ACTPRO12M ..... which from everything we can find out and see so far, is the exact same unit ?

That seems like an awful lot of money for some nice cloth cover and the Friedman name-plate ...... ??

Surely someone [ from Freidman ( ? ) ] can advise or confirm if there is anything other than the cloth and name-plate that you get for the extra US ~ $200 <-> $250 (?)

Ben

jpage

Yeah I pretty much agree with this--there is no 'best', all these monitors just sound a little different. I picked up several that were recommended to use with my AXE and decided on the one I found worked the best for the application I was using it for. I need something that can be a stage monitor for large gigs but also be able to carry a small club by itself in a pinch. Which means high SPLs without feedback. I ended up with the L6Stagesource but there are several I liked. But in the end they are just PA speakers like you say

X-Mann

Hey all,

I talked with a really nice guy named Brent over at Friedman amps & got some great information. Most of it has already been said here so this might not be totally new to all of you guys.

Yes, Dave licensed this design & it's very similar to the B-52 versions, but it is different.

The cabinets are all new and hand made here in the USA w/ different wood from the original. They are also tuned differently & the main driver is also a different component as well. I don't know what the new driver model is either.

I was told to order these a specific way.

I ordered mine through Sweetwater & then they contact Friedman to place the actual order. My order will be completed by Friedman & then shipped to Sweetwater who will ship it out to me after. It seems that each cabinet is made at the time of order from what I can tell too. I also think that these are a limited edition type thing as well.

I'll give a full detailed Video Review w/ sound clips when I receieve it.

The guys over at Friedman amps were just the best & really helped answer all of my questions too.

Again, just a little more information to any that migh want to order one.

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I also just ordered the HeliX & will test out the Friedman ASM-12 w/ it & my Eleven Rack as well. FYI

jpage

The guys over at Friedman amps were just the best & really helped answer all of my questions too.
+1. Had nothing but great communication and positive dealings with Dave--if he says it's his design I believe him

guitarno

Gold Supporting Member
Hey all,

I talked with a really nice guy named Brent over at Friedman amps & got some great information. Most of it has already been said here so this might not be totally new to all of you guys.

Yes, Dave licensed this design & it's very similar to the B-52 versions, but it is different.

The cabinets are all new and hand made here in the USA w/ different wood from the original. They are also tuned differently & the main driver is also a different component as well. I don't know what the new driver model is either.

I was told to order these a specific way.

I ordered mine through Sweetwater & then they contact Friedman to place the actual order. My order will be completed by Friedman & then shipped to Sweetwater who will ship it out to me after. It seems that each cabinet is made at the time of order from what I can tell too. I also think that these are a limited edition type thing as well.

I'll give a full detailed Video Review w/ sound clips when I receieve it.

Again, just a little more information to any that migh want to order one.

Peace! X-Mann

PS - I also just ordered the HeliX & will test out the Friedman ASM-12 w/ it & my Eleven Rack as well. FYI

Yes, please let us know what you think of the Friedman ASM-12. I'd be very interested to know how it sounds with modelers and what you're impressions are.

X-Mann

Yes, please let us know what you think of the Friedman ASM-12. I'd be very interested to know how it sounds with modelers and what you're impressions are.
No problem & as soon as it arrives you'll get full HD pictures & HD video as well.

I'll only be able to play it & comment about how it works w/ my Eleven Rack as I'm still waiting on the delivery of my Helix.

I've done lots of 11-Rack, Carvin Guitars & a 5150 amp demos, so I'm ready, willing & able to do this too!

I'll call Sweetwater tomorrow & try to get a build order update.

Peace! X \m/

Trending Topics