1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Friedman BE-50 Deluxe - Sweetwater exclusive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Monstercastle, Oct 19, 2017.

1. CJrocks

CJrocks Member

It would lose

2. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Lets hear it ..

Im wondering if $3500 Friedman tone sounds any different than $2500 Friedman tone.

3. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Seriously bro. Go hang in your thread no one gets a rat's arse about. You're annoying.

Silenceborn, GilmourD, Vai81 and 4 others like this.
  4. knotts

knotts Member

I think this is the key. I have a Lonestar Classic which I've owned since 2007. I owned a roadster from 2012 to 2016 and last year sold it and got a Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini. I will say as much as I love my LSC, it doesn't sit in the mix like my 20 watt DSM. It's something I noticed and these guys pointed it out in the video as well. I play in a classic rock band and I get amazing tones from both my Mesa's however when I play them in a mix they don't cut through like by band mates Soldano Hot Rod 50. I've changed tubes, cabs, pedals, added eq in the signal chain with my Mesas. Although those things helped, I find it's easier to dial in a tone that sits nicely in the mix and cuts though when needed with my DSM. I still love my LSC but prefer the Friedman for the band situation. I'm not suggesting that a Mesa can't be dialed in better for the application which I was using it for, but I just found it easier with the Friedman. In fairness it is very hard to beat the reverb on my LSC so just about all other amps can't compete with that.

5. knotts

knotts Member

Congrats. I'm glad you like it. Enjoy playing it loud.

Craig Walker likes this.
  6. Craig Walker

7. CallEOD

CallEOD Member

Its a joke man .... you know i blocked you a week ago but thought i over-reacted, guess not, Goodbye.

8. Jon Bcn

Jon Bcn Member

It looks really beautiful. Congratulations!

Now I feel like I have to sell my BE100 and buy this one. But then later on another wonderful version will come out and then I'll had to sell the BE50 to fund it, and then another one will come out and haunt me and... The ride just never ends.

Damnit Dave, stop doing awesome amplifiers and pedals and other lovely stuff already. I hate you!

9. Craig Walker

All I can say is "good riddance". :drink

10. Craig Walker

Ha, no doubt. I can see this amp being my final keeper. It's just *that* tone in my head I grew up with. Van Halen, Styx, Journey etc. Yes it's not exactly each one of those, but with the versatile of sculpting options you can really dial in some diversity. I played for 2 hours and really didn't fiddle with all the options. I want to sit down and really listen to various guitarists and see how close I can come to that tone.

I snagged Dave's Buxom Boost pedal. Not sure if I'll use it to push the amp out from, or in the loop as a pure 'solo' boost.

Jon Bcn likes this.
  11. Craig Walker

Trying to edit some iPhone vid before leaving for work.....not sure if I'll finish.

Jon Bcn likes this.
  12. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Is this your first Friedman?

Craig Walker likes this.
  13. guitarvc

guitarvc Member

My experience with the LSC is totally different. I totally cut through the mix. I run it at 100 watts, the drive is engaged on channel 2, treble at 1 oclock, mids and bass at 9oclock, presence at noon, and volume for the room and band loudness. I always cut, and the tones that sound a bit harsh when playing alone disappear in the band mix, and what I get are clear and articulate overdrive crunch, and searing lead tones. I only use the compressor with single coils, and no OD or boost pedals, just the solo boost in the amp for solos. Also I use the stock speaker.

14. goddot

goddot Supporting Member

congrats on the new amp OP

knotts likes this.
  15. knotts

knotts Member

Interesting. I changed to EL34's and liked it in my Lonestar. I tried EL34's in my Roadster and hated it. I also converted my 2x12 to a head and bought a 4x12 with V30 / GH1230 mixed, however I think that the 6L6's paired better with the stock C90 speakers. I never dialed in anything that sounded harsh, but perhaps that was what I was my mistake. I always found a tone I liked, but once everyone else chimed in I settled into the background. I was mostly a CH1 guy with pedals because CH2 didn't work with my SRV style strat. I eventually got an LP and put P90's in a strat and CH2 and I are now good friends. I eventually swapped the Roadster for the Friedman because I felt that my Mesa's were barely breathing and I was too loud for rehearsals (even attenuated). That's why I wend with 20 watts of EL34. I can at least put the thing on 5 and push the power section. I'm happy I kept the Lonestar and switched to the Friedman. I feel like I have more venue options.

The only other Friedman I had my eye on was the Small Box. Now if I had to choose between a small box or a BE-50 Deluxe, that choice would be hard; especially if I throw a Soldano HR-25 in the mix.

16. Craig Walker

Yep :)

17. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

Congrats bro, this could very well be a Friedman rabbit hole you’ve entered. Enjoy, we’re all here as your support group lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Monstercastle and Craig Walker like this.
  18. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

I just got mine and was able to spend about half an hour with it. I'm not going to say any amp is really worth $3,500, but so far it lives up to the hype IMO. Obviously I need to spend more time with it, but my initial impression is very positive.

Fit and finish are perfect and luckily everything works out of the box. Whew!

Clean channel: I had a Buxom Betty combo for a while and the BE-50's clean channel through an open back cab with a Creamback sounds exactly like I remember the BB sounding. I've been thinking about picking up a Fender combo but I think this channel could kill that GAS. Takes pedals well and sounds freaking awesome with a TS9 pushing it.

BE/HBE channels: These channels give me what I was missing with my SmallBox. It can still nail SB tones (and I'm guessing BE-100 tones, though I've never played one), but by setting the response knob high and the thump low you can get more traditional Marshall tones. Plenty of punch, bark, bite, kerrang on tap. Increasing the thump and lowering the response gets you back to what I think of as "the" Friedman tone (tighter, darker and more compressed).

My other amp is a Dirty Shirley with the 3-position gain switch and I love that feature on the DS. On the BE-50 it provides awesome low or mid gain tones in the middle and up positions. I struggled with those tones on the SB for some reason, it seems like the switches work better than simply lowering the gain knob. I really haven't had time to play much with the SAT/FAT/VOICE switches beyond verifying that they work. Between those and the thump and response knobs this amp is ridiculously versatile, yet it still seems hard to get a bad tone out of it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
    Craig Walker and goddot like this.
  19. BrentSP

BrentSP Member

The resonance and NFB controls is what I'm excited about the most. That's really useful. Great first impression and mini review, thanks.

20. marshall2553

marshall2553 Member

Yeah, those were a big selling point for me too. I was worried that they would be fairly subtle but they are both very effective.