Friedman BE-50 Deluxe - Sweetwater exclusive

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Monstercastle, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

:) :)

2. LP Freak

LP Freak Supporting Member

Pick you’re poison...lol

[​IMG]

PBGas, Vai81, Holzar88 and 2 others like this.
  3. Craig Walker

:dude :dude

LP Freak likes this.
  4. Craig Walker

I've never played a BE-100 in person......give us some thoughts of your A/B :D

5. LP Freak

My 100 is a ‘15. Right off the bat the 50 seems a little more open, less polished and is more aggressive.

Craig Walker likes this.
  6. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

For your listening pleasure.

dsmc80 and mrwhipple like this.
  7. skeet

skeet Supporting Member

How does the size/weight compare to your 100? The Sweetwater specs seem to indicate it’s pretty close to the SmallBox - but it doesn’t quite look like that in your pic.

Congrats BTW!!

8. laninga

laninga Member

am i the only one who doesn't like this demo??

5150, ledzep618, tone? and 1 other person like this.
  9. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

Nope...not his best particularly showcasing BE/HBE channels imo.

10. BBBJay

BBBJay Member

I’m still interested none the less... is that wrong?

11. ferrinbonn

ferrinbonn Member

I think he dials in amps well for that style of music. He likes the really heavy saturated stuff. Not my style, but I think the amp sounds good.

The cleans are really nice too, but the edge of breakup tone he was getting must be ear bleed volumes. He had it on about 3:00 on the dial.

12. LP Freak

Thanks, it’s a couple inches shorter and a couple inches more narrow but the depth is the same. And you can definitely notice the difference in weight.

13. Silenceborn

Silenceborn Supporting Member

Interesting... I know tone is subjective and maybe it’s the video, recording setup or the settings, but honestly it does not sound very pleasant to my ears. The guitar tone is brittle, overly fuzzy, muhy and loose. Again I have seen and heard better demos of this good amp so far and it might be the case that Craig likes and prefers such tone.

However, I imagine that maybe some different tubes could enhance the tone a little bit. Have you tried different brands in the V1? Tung-Sol or new JJs? Was the amp on Triode low watt mode when recording? How about the Gain Structure Switch, was it on highest gain mode? How did you dial the Response and Thump knobs?

I think it would be great if you can share the settings on the amp like the EQs and switches as it may help us get a better idea of the dialled tone in general. Also sharing the raw recorded on some places such as Myspace (without any post processing) would be awesome as well.

Cheers,

14. Craig Walker

"Thanks" (air quotes)

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Echoplexi likes this.
  15. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Sounds pretty good to me Craig. I love when I see people suggest trying different pre-amp tubes on an amp like that. It would be hard enough to tell the difference in that room, let alone a recording.

16. Silenceborn

Well, as someone who work in the studio almost everyday and recorded countless sessions, I know for a fact that some people are not able to discern the differences in tone when it comes to various components in an analog circuit; while there are many others who can easily pint-point the differences and even describe the variations, just like people who have perfect pitch. I have seen artists who not only were able to recognise the tube differences or at least if something is different in the feel/compression/bloom of their beloved tone when tested in acoustically treated environments, but also they were able to further help designing units which sound near perfect for their own purposes. Ears and minds are different just like tastes. Generalising based on one individual's subjective experience is simply meaningless and far from reality.

17. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Mic position can make or break a recording setup and is always the first thing to look at, not preamp tubes. Also he just bought and used his new UAD interface so he’s still trying to figure it out. You should know this since you’ve spent so much time in the studio.

Craig, I would record a riff via looper, with headphones on, set the mic position where it sounds it’s fullest with clarity and depth.

rydogg_sc2 likes this.
  18. Silenceborn

I suggest you to read my post again mate. But for your own convenience I copy it here again: "...I know tone is subjective and maybe it’s the video, recording setup or the settings..."

Saying that, do you think it would be appropriate to come and suddenly accuse somebody for their possible mistakes with setting their gears up and recording errors? By default I respect people and assume they know enough about how to setup their recording gears when they upload a video; and if the sound I'm hearing is not pleasant enough to my ears I assume that it is my ears/mind that do not like that sound and it's not the player/engineer fault. However, if later on the person decided to talk about his setup or was curious that there might be problems with his setup or recording techniques then I can come and share my humble opinion on the subject for sure. Again, I don't find it nice to all of a sudden come out and shout: Change your mic position, check phasing, preamp gain settings, compression method and so on... I think what many people here lack is tolerance and critical thinking. Have a good one ~~

19. BrentSP

BrentSP Supporting Member

Y
    Yeah I did read it, that’s why I replied.

rydogg_sc2 likes this.
  20. Craig Walker

Yes, thanks for re-iterating what I said. I just quickly did it, as we were headed out to a Christmas party. I thought for a first shot it sounded "ok". Guess I was wrong. :p

I'll post the raw clip later. Maybe it's something I did in post. I don't really 'get' compressors too much, so I may have overdone it. I also have hearing loss (wear hearing aids) so maybe I needed phones.

I also will re-record for accuracy of playing. Like I said, first take, first time w UAD.

I'm no Pete Thorn :)

I'll play around with the loop idea. Hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017