Friedman BE-OD and TC Electronics Sentry Noise Gate - Noisy?

SgtThump

If i use the signal path immediately below and have the BE-OD turned on, the hiss actually gets louder when i turn the Sentry on. This seems eally weird to me, as id like my setup to be this way only to get rid of single coil hum BEFORE any other effects. The Sentry seems to be adding its own noise that is amplified by the distortion pedal?

Guitar > Sentry > BE-OD > Amp

If i switch the order of the 2 pedals, the Sentry quiets down the hiss from the BE-OD as youd expect and no other noises are introduced. I am using it this way tonight and it should work just fine.

Thoughts? Im not really looking for opinions about running the noisegate before or after the distortion. Im asking why the noise floor actually increases with the Sentry first in the signal path? I just dont get it.

Powering up with a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2.

Chris

ColonelForbin

As to why it increases noise before the BE-OD, there is a buffer in the Sentry, and it has an internal switch that allows you to run it buffered or true bypass. You could switch that toggle and try it again in front of the BE-OD.

Also, have you tried running the BE-OD in the Sentry send/return loop? I am not too familiar with that Sentry, but doing a quick read shows it has a lot of options, tone print and such. My guess is there is some amount of hiss/noise being generated by the BE-OD, which makes sense that it cuts that noise with the Sentry after it.

The Sentry has something it calls 'gate toneprint hiss'. It might be worth putting Sentry after BE-OD, and have the Toneprint software or whatever that is analyze the noise it gets from the BE-OD..

Honestly sounds like a killer noise gate!!

I've got the BE-OD pedal, it can be noisy at higher gain. You can also try running the BE-OD at 18v. I've also turned down the internal gain dial on the BE-OD to around 8 or 9 o'clock; it's got a TON of gain at pretty much any setting, but I am happier with the overall gain range down a bit from the stock setting.

Last edited:

SgtThump

As to why it increases noise before the BE-OD, there is a buffer in the Sentry, and it has an internal switch that allows you to run it buffered or true bypass. You could switch that toggle and try it again in front of the BE-OD.

I didnt know that! But everything is quiet when the Sentry is off. Well not quiet, but i only hear the hiss from the Friedman pedal (normal.) the noise increases alot when the Sentry is on and in front of the Friedman. Im thinking the bypass mode doesnt matter?

Also, have you tried running the BE-OD in the Sentry send/return loop? I am not too familiar with that Sentry, but doing a quick read shows it has a lot of options, tone print and such. My guess is there is some amount of hiss/noise being generated by the BE-OD, which makes sense that it cuts that noise with the Sentry after it.

The Sentry has something it calls 'gate toneprint hiss'. It might be worth putting Sentry after BE-OD, and have the Toneprint software or whatever that is analyze the noise it gets from the BE-OD..

I havent tried anything in the looop. Looks like i have a small project tomorrow. Lol

Honestly sounds like a killer noise gate!!

I've got the BE-OD pedal, it can be noisy at higher gain. You can also try running the BE-OD at 18v. I've also turned down the internal gain dial on the BE-OD to around 8 or 9 o'clock; it's got a TON of gain at pretty much any setting, but I am happier with the overall gain range down a bit from the stock setting.

Yeah, i have the internal trim pot down at 9:00 o'clock. Thats the sweet spot IMO.

Thanks for the input!

Last edited:

SgtThump

Is the Friedman pedal sensitive to the pedals in front of it? Im thinking not. It seems like the Sentry may be noisy only if feeding the Friedman? Weird stuff.

Ive since hooked up other pedals in every combination you can imagine and everything is quiet UNLESS the Sentry feeds the Friedman.

davidwhitson

I would never try a noise reduction / suppression in front and expect it to do anything for noise generated from the effects after it. I have successfully used noise gates after drives and noisy effects and with those effects in the loop of the noise suppressor.

SgtThump

I would never try a noise reduction / suppression in front and expect it to do anything for noise generated from the effects after it. I have successfully used noise gates after drives and noisy effects and with those effects in the loop of the noise suppressor.

Sorry. Apparently, i still havent explained it properly. I want the noise gate to silence the 60 cycle hum from single coil pickups only. Im not looking for it to silence anything else.

but using the distortion pedal after the noise gate creates a loud hiss. Louder than just the distortion pedal on its own.

Not sure how else i can explain my point.

davidwhitson

OK. Then it sounds like your Sentry is not playing nice with your drive pedal. I have not experienced that.

SgtThump

Update... this has nothing to do with the friedman pedal. The sentry just makes noise when you run it in front of distortion, whether its distortion from an amp or pedal. The Sentry must make noise that you cant hear until distortion makes it obvious.

Crazy, considering its a noise gate pedal. Lol

Run it after distortion and it works as you would expect.

Back it goes.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom