Friedman Brown Eye or JJ Cantrell head for high gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wally1, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I haven't been able to play either one of these in person but I am intrigued by you tube videos. My question is which is suited better for metal/high gain? I'd love to have a great clean channel with a metal/hard rock lead channel with tons of gain on tap. Which one of these has more gain?

2. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I've had both. The JBE mode on the JJ is the most metal sounding of those Friedman amps. Still have the JJ.

3. djlynch

djlynch Supporting Member

Mojo how is that JJ at low volume. Not whisper but annoy the wife in the basement volume

4. LPMojoGL

It's fantastic at bedroom volumes, and gets better when the power section starts working. Really one of the best master volumes, ever.

5. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

either amp is fully capable of metal - but i agree that the JJ has an added edge/bite/attack that is a great fit for metal.

EVERY friedman ive tried sounds fantastic at low (even lower than you are asking about) volumes - and i think the JJ is probably the best out of all of the ones i have tried at it

6. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

Bobby could tell you for sure but i'm pretty sure the North Dallas GC carries the Friedman stuff and should at least have a be100 there. I haven't played either myself but will tell you Bobby knows his stuff better than most since he's owned 98% of amps made today :)

7. LPMojoGL

lolol. I keep saying, I'm small time compared to a great number of the members on this forum.

Anyway, shanesiegle is right on. The N Dallas and Arlington GCs have the Friedmans in stock. Arlington has a Dirty Shirley, Steve Stevens, BE100 and I think a Pink Taco right now. They also have the SS and BE 4x12s.
    We might be able to work something out if the op is interested in hearing the JJ. I'd check with N Dallas, first. Robbie usually has the good stuff, or can tell you when it's arriving. They might have a Helios in stock. I know he was expecting. I'd like to try that one out.

8. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

I ordered a JJ almost entirely based on Bobby's sound clips, reviews, and feedback. He knows what he's talking about. Friedman should be endorsing him because there isn't a whole lot of demos or reviews of the JJ anywhere else online.

9. Wally1

Wally1 Member

Thanks guys. The Arlington GC is pretty close to me so I will try and make time Saturday to swing buy and see what they have to demo.

10. shanesiegle

shanesiegle Supporting Member

You live in Guitar Center heaven, I got my singlecut rosewood from the Arlington shop and the guy was really, really cool. My local shop has a couple really cool guys but the only good amps they ever get in are a trade in here and there but it's rare.

11. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

that is ridiculous - puts my GC to shame

12. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Me too. I live in the most overpopulated state in the country with no less than 3 GC's in a 30 minute drive and NONE of them carry Friedman... :jo

13. LPMojoGL

Yeah, it's nice to walk in and compare Soldano to Bogner to Friedman to 3 Monkeys to Splawn to Fargen to...

Always something good to play in the GCs around here.

I'm glad my clips and posts are helpful! I'll move to Cali right now if Friedman will pay me what I make at my current job to show off their amps, work shows, call amp shops, whatever. Heck yeah!!!