Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini -- Speaker help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Hackdog69, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Hackdog69

Hackdog69 Supporting Member

Hi all, I know a lot of about guitars, effects, amps etc.. but literally nothing about speakers ( silly I know ). Currently I am using a 1/12 cab with a cannabis rex 8 ohm speaker in it. What suggestions are out here for the loudest speaker that I could put in a 1/12 cab for this amp?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  2. hpharley90

hpharley90 Member

ASW peacemaker...mu opinion of course....

3. Hackdog69

4. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

If a 112, I might go v30. An H magnet would normally be the answer, but in this case it might scoop out the amp too much.

5. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

“Loudest” meaning what? Help us help you...

6. Hackdog69

Most efficient? I am looking for more actual db..

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

what kind of cab is the speaker in?
    Cabs make every bit of a difference as the speaker and amp in my experience.

8. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Alnico Gold? I’m sure some American-sounding speaker may be louder but would sound like a$$... EV or JBL?

I’d go for an oversize 1x12 closed back

9. Hackdog69

ok, so I have an oversized 1/12 cab that can be open or closed back, what speakers would be louder then a cannabis rex.. I didn't realize this was such a difficult question... I guess I'm not a dumb as I thought :rotflmao

10. ColonelForbin

ColonelForbin Member

If you can; try your amp with a full size Dirty Shirley open back cab, which has a G12M65 Creamback in it as stock speaker. This cab sounds huge and loud; but that could be due to the bass response of the Creamback being increased.

Consider which frequencies you want to be louder also. And whether you want a better dirty or clean tone.

The G12M65 does dirt great; and a cranked DS mini isn't going to be 'clean' anyway; so it's a good fit, imho.

I have a Marshall Origin 50 head and a Runt 50 combo: both of which love that speaker. Not mid scooped; and with pronounced bass and mellow upper treble. Not mid spike like a V30.

Though; Creamback open back cab probably different vibe than same in closed back.

Hackdog69 likes this.
  11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

An oversized cab produces more bass. The CR is a hemp cone speaker, IIRC, which is darker than most speakers. You'll probably want something that's got more upper mids, like an H/50 oz magnet with a 75hz cone (Scumback H75, CB g12h75, etc) so that it balances with the cab.

Ideally, though, an OS 112 cab is for those wanting more bass response, so it may not be the right cab for this amp. Good luck!

ColonelForbin and Hackdog69 like this.
  12. Plexi68

Plexi68 Supporting Member

It’s not really about db’s as it is finding a speaker that matches well with your amp. American voiced speakers are way more efficient and would get you the most volume but would sound like $&@t and would boost frequencies you don’t want. A really great match to the Dirty Shirley is Dave’s Dirty Shirley ext cab, it’s an oversized 1x12, open back with a creamback 65 in it and it sounds huge!

ColonelForbin likes this.
  13. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Alnico speakers or v30s are the only ones that I think would sound appropriate AND be higher efficiency. But like others here, I would rather have the speaker that sounds best, not the loudest one.

I like greenback type speakers with the DS amps. But those are low efficiency.

14. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

I really enjoy mine through a jensen tornado 100 neo. It's a very balanced speaker that sits somewhere between US and brit, having aspects of both. Oh, and it doesn't weigh much, so if you're dragging things to gigs.....

15. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I have a BE50 but plan to get a DS Mini combo soon as I can swing it.

I was not thrilled with greenbacks with my BE50 and eventually settled on Alnico Creams (love those speakers!). It also sounds great with an Alnico Gold I also have. So my plan is to replace the stock Greenback in the combo with a 10" alnico gold. Gives me 40W and better highs in a much more efficient (louder) speaker.

16. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

What did you settle on?

If a 12" speaker, I'd go with Celestion Alnico Cream if you have the cash. Or Celestion Alnico Gold. Both are 100dB sensitivity and both do well with low wattage. The cream is 90W, the gold is 50W. But the Cream is also noted to work very well with 1 to 90W of power. I've used both these speakers for my BE50 and they sound incredible. (BTW, BE50 also does 25W and I often run mine at 25W). Right now I'm running a semi-open back 2x12 with two Creams and it is sweet. I use a 1x12 with a gold for my wet side. It's delicious.

As I stated above, I plan to get the Dirty Shirley Mini combo and swap out the greenback for a 10" Celestion Gold. Should give me more volume and clarity and less chance to ever blow the speaker (40W in the 10" version, still double the 20W power amp).

The Alnicos are more like a V30 than a greenback in both cases. (Makes sense, a V30 is trying to be an alnico speaker without the alnico magnets). But to me they are less shrill and much more friendly to all styles of music than a V30 and more efficient. They work for vintage clean and crunch way better than a V30 and still do high gain very well (still better than a V30 to me, though some may not agree, most have not really A/Bed them, but I have).

17. Hackdog69

Nothing yet, been using a mesa cab, it was analysis paralysis... couldn't make up my mind or seem to get straight unbiased info,,, your post above if the best info I have received yet.. at this point probably go with your suggestion of the Alnico Cream.. thank you!

18. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

So, I've been absolutely over the moon with my Neo Creambacks, personally. They are insanely light, and the tone is to kill for. So far I've had a Diezel VH4, Orange Rocker Terror 15, Gries 5 and Peters Triple Channel through them. They are truly incredible and seem to work with everything.

Just something to consider.

19. JaiRamana

JaiRamana Member

I have not personally played them but it’s a great suggestion from all I’ve read. And less spendy for sure. These are very new tech, along with latest alnicos. And real light weight. I’d like to try them.

Creams satisfy me for all styles from jazz to blues to dirty blues to hard rock to metal. Alnico on this level with this much power handling is going to be hard to beat (90W ea). And the cost makes sense as cobalt is incredibly expensive. They are a joy. But deeper depth than most Celestions (like 6.4” deep which sadly for speakers is prett

They excel too at lower wattage. I play my BE on 25w with super low master and these speakers really compliment the dynamics of the Friedman amps. So responsive to the response knob and way beyond a greenback for sure for my taste. So sweetly detailed but never shrill. For me in a class by themselves the alnicos are. Even at low low volume!

And I think a gold is very close once broken in.

Been playing a Dirty Shirley OD through the Buxom clean channel and my god it loves the creams!

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  20. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

why that speaker for that amp?