Friedman Dirty Shirley vs AX8 and Kemper

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by timowens316, May 7, 2016.

Which one do you like best?

Poll closed May 9, 2016.
  1. Take #1

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Take #2

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. Take #3

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. timowens316

timowens316 Member

I did this test to see how the AX8 and KPA compare to a real Friedman Dirty Shirley. For this test I ran everything into the same guitar cab, with the AX8 the preset simply consisted of the amp model with no cab, for the KPA I made a Direct Amp profile.

I made four recordings at varying gain levels, in each recording you will hear the same riff three times, once with the amp, once with the AX8 and once with the KPA, but not necessarily in that order.

If you want to guess which is which that is fine, but I'm more curious to know which one you think is best.

The wav files can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dvxvt7lheq7b4n2/AADmDTgP3dvE-b1BS6Y6lGQRa?dl=0

2. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

1 AX8
    2 Kemper
    3 Dirty Shirley

The second one seemed to have less gain or be a little quieter in each clip, that may be influencing my guesses somewhat. FWIW I do own an AX8 and a Dirty Shirley. I thought the first and third sounded the best and if I had to pick which one I prefer I'd probably go with #3. They all sound great and close enough to the real deal.

3. timowens316

timowens316 Member

I've owned a few really nice amps and the Dirty Shirley is probably my favorite amp. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is a single channel amp, but with these digital devices we can actually have a multi-channel Dirty Shirley, now how cool is that!

4. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

It's my favorite amp ever. It cleans up and takes pedals so well I don't even care that it's a single channel amp. The AX8 model is SO close it's scary but I just can't bring myself to sell the amp. I have a great patch on the AX8 that X/Y's between a clean and dirty DS amp that does pretty much all I'd ever need.

chuskey likes this.
  5. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

1 and 3: AX8 and amp. Can´t say which is which. 2 is the Kemper. Definitely the worst-sounding again. It just seems to lack life compared to the others but maybe it can be solved with a little bit of eq in the top end.

Actually I think no 1 is the amp, it sounds the best.

6. prinspatrick

prinspatrick Member

1 AX8
    2 Kemper
    3 Dirty Shirley

TimeSnow likes this.
  7. TimeSnow

TimeSnow Member

I guess I'd rate them 3 2 1...but because 2 has less gain it's hard to really know. Plus I'm listening on a laptop.

I should add that whole people race about the DS it's not my favorite kind of amp so maybe I'm the wrong person to answer this question.

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  8. tochiro

tochiro Member

Judging the sound through the recording setting, SoundCloud, the Web and your computer speakers is something but if you could hear the Friedman amp in reality side by side with a modeler you would hear that the sound is far more different and far better in the case of the amp.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  9. ilyslue2

ilyslue2 Member

Wow, the second really have a lot less background noise. I´m guessing that as the amp.............

arislaf likes this.
  10. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

Honestly, besides the #2 being a little quieter than the rest, I honestly cannot tell much of a difference. At this point, you are splitting hairs, and any perceived difference can easily be remedied with some extra EQing.

JerEvil likes this.
  11. mrboy

mrboy Member

1. Kemper
    2. AX8
    3. DS

12. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

The second take has slightly less gain. The third take has slightly more compression so when normalized it's louder. People will usually select louder as being "better", that's the old Hi-Fi salesman trick. They all sound great to me. I suppose if we wanted to eliminate loudness bias the clips would need to be leveled with a loudness meter rather than normalized.

prinspatrick, fakeox and Flying_V1968 like this.
  13. timowens316

timowens316 Member

I don't know how to tell you this, but you actually voted for the Kemper :eek:

The answer is:

1 = Kemper
    2 = AX8
    3 = Dirty Shirley

Grasley, TimeSnow, Fretburner and 2 others like this.
  14. gkinder

gkinder Member

Goes to show that "best" when it comes to tone is purely subjective, LOL....thanks, enjoyed the exercise and honestly couldn't have guessed which was which, especially mixed with a band.

15. jazzfromhell

jazzfromhell Member

Haha, well it's official then....Im clueless and deaf when it comes to stuff like this :D
    Thanks for doing this, it's very enlightning.

16. bloomz

bloomz Member

I thought the Shirley sounded best.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  17. m~Dan

m~Dan Member

All sound really great. While I think 1 and 3 sound really close I have to saay that I liked the AX8 sound the best in these samples :) Thanks for your effort!

Dr Git likes this.
  18. Defendant

Defendant Member

Thanks heaps for doing that OP.

The DS is a fave of mine and I've been mulling over which way to go between the current modeler rigs. Definitely leaning back to Kemper.

19. Karl Houseknecht

Karl Houseknecht Supporting Member

Tim, you have those DS profiles around for sharing? :)

Edit: Never mind, Tim. I found them. Excellent! Turns out I already had them. I downloaded that entire HAWP zip file. What a treasure trove!

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  20. wedewer

wedewer Supporting Member

I love these posts by Tim because it really makes me laugh when I see the people that are so sure of which is which and the guys that swear they hear the "digital" in them. Both in this post and Tim's other post people were SOOOOO sure. They all sound amazingly similar to the point where I can't believe anyone can be so sure and if they get it right, its probably just luck. The only thing I am sure about in these posts is that we have reached a point in modeling where it's almost impossible to differentiate between it and a real amp.