Friedman hate?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chance Terrill, Sep 18, 2019.

1. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Mods do a good job here, but for some reason this crowd is very negative even compared to most other music forums. The rep of TGP on social media and other sites is obviously that TGP is full of gear snobs who are jerks. But the mods have an impossible task, there's just too much posting going on. Maybe there just need to be more mods so that what is being asked of you isn't such a heavy task?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
    SILA, Gallery and SgtThump like this.
  2. SgtThump

SgtThump Supporting Member

Great post!!!! (IMO)

COYS likes this.
  3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

In all the Tone Talk videos he comes across as quite jovial.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hate rearing its ugly head on the Internet? Say it isn’t so.

:sarcasm

5. Slash

Slash Supporting Member

Is
    Is that a slam on Krank amps...:roll

Haters going to hate... Slo, Marshall, Mesa all amps get some hate... some more than others.

Congrats to OP on getting a cool amp :aok

6. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Legitimately did not even know a brand called Krank existed. That's how 'boutique' I am :rotflmao

Slash likes this.
  7. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

dave is far from arrogant in my opinion. And I've met/chatted with him several times in real life. His partner Rob (I assume Rob is still involved?) is also a nice guy.
    They make great amps. No I don't own one so really no dog in the hunt. If I did, it would likely be a Smallbox or Phil X.

CJReaper, Matteo11, stratadp and 3 others like this.
  8. big mike

There's more mods than ever. The problem is people assume the moderators 'patrol' the site. It's on membership to help police it.

Achewood_Johnson and COYS like this.
  9. Waldo Nova

Waldo Nova Member

There are those that own Friedman amps... and there are those that do not because they can't afford one. And those people get bitter and then hate.

10. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

Dave's been nothing but great with me. I got a Smallbox 50 a couple of Decembers ago. Still got it, still dig it. Early on before getting my hands on a Wizard MC1, I told him I liked the SB but was thinking about something just a bit stiffer, more immediate. He say's "well maybe you really want the Wizard, but if you want, I can help you stiffin' up the SB a little. You can send it in, or I can give you the info on what you can try and you can do it yourself if you're into that".

He's always replied to my emails.

He's a good dude in my book.

Kevin.C, Darkburst, CJReaper and 3 others like this.
  11. El Rey

El Rey Silver Supporting Member

" if you build it, they will come."

12. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

And on the other side of the coin, if someone is gushing over something too much, than they are called a fanboy or worse yet a shill.

What I hate seeing is amp A kills amp B. I am against amp violence against other amps. Can’t amps just get along, maybe they could even partner with each other in stereo. :) :)

13. JPH118

JPH118 Member

This, 100%. There are people that will covet something until they see it in a Sweetwater or MF catalog, and then it’s done for them. Overexposure of something that was once borderline unobtainium breeds contempt for some. There was an element of mystique to Dave’s mods before the production of his own line began, which may have diminished that for some. Or they just can’t afford them.

That said, I love Dave’s work and his amps kick @ss.

jimijimmyjeffy and big mike like this.
  14. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

I bought my be-100 based on the awesome videos on youtube. Just can't get it to sound like the videos do. I even bought a Freidman 4x12 thinking that was the problem. Still can't get it. Decided to give up and sell, ebay wouldn't even bring in $2,000. Luckily I bought used, but I am still going to take a big hit. I love the construction, I don't know if they are hand made or not, but wiring is like art. I'm actually thinking at this point I may keep it and sell my beloved JVM410h. I LOVE my JVM410H, but since i purchased it new when the first came out, I have added many more marshall heads and they cover the JVM ground. So the be-100 is still at least slilghtly different.

15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

Gibson LP into a Friedman. *mic drop*

H8ters gonna H8. They can suck it.

16. big mike

Pffff. f a buncha les Pauls.

Roark likes this.
  17. mikebat

mikebat Member

I think the Achilles heel of modern amps is that they sound so good at high gain (they do not over saturate and fall apart, an they are easy to play), folks tend to use more than they should. Often the higher the gain, the smaller the sound. Plus, you give away dynamics the further up the gain scale you go.

So...a regular Joe gets a Friedman, Revv, Bogner etc and they run the gain too high. Sure, instant gratification, but it can easily lose dynamics (compression), get small, and have a train of high mid buzz to them, while remaining smooth.

Imagine people getting a BE and running it with Rolling Stones level dirt, instead of Slipnkot level gain. Then flooding the web with YT videos of that. There would be less Friedman hate. But....we are human, and we run the gain higher than we should.

That is why, we should always run a DI out clean to the recorder/DAW when we are recording, so we can re-amp later and reduce the gain and make mixes MUCH more punchy.

18. Billy_B

Billy_B Silver Supporting Member

For the record, Bogner doesn't do endorsements. Also for the record, it was a Bogner modded amp that Jerry used on Facelift and the subsequent tour, that had everyone wanting to cop Jerry's tone.

DonaldDemon and JPH118 like this.
  19. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

Actually, Splawn doesn't do artist deals so they couldn't get one if they wanted to, they pay full price like anyone else. I'm not saying that is why they choose one amp brand over another (they might not even know about other brands, though Steve Stevens was playing a Splawn before the Friedman), I'm just clarifying that not everyone does special artist pricing.

20. Chance Terrill

Chance Terrill Member

Dude...... Les paul was the first bucker equipped axe. It literally was made for rock it just didn't know it yet