Friedman JJ Jr. mic-no-mo (direct out) = Pretty good! (clips inside)

tele_jas

I've had my JJ Jr 1x12 combo for about 4 months now, but never really played with the direct out (mic-no-mo). I decided to play around with it last night to see how it sounded, playing along with a 45 sec drums & bass track I made about 15 years ago.

I was really impressed with the results and it doesn't sound direct, at all, to me.

I did one take with my 52 AVRI Hotrod Tele and another one with my Wolfgang......This was guitar, straight to the amp and a little post FX to the lead in my DAW.

Here's (or hear) the results:

With a Telecaster

With a Wolfgang (excuse the 15yr old pic here, LOL)

Lt_Core

Wow, sounds great! I’ve been looking at the Friedman JJ Jr for gigs and quiet practice/recording at home.

I gig with an EVH 5150 iii 50w 6L6 head. Decent cleans (with zero breakup) and tight metal tones but it doesn’t do that classic Marshall thing.

The direct out of the 5150 is just awful. I also have a 20W Peavey 6505 mini head and it also has a horrible direct out. I was going to buy a Captor X but then I’ve been hearing about the excellent JJ Jr direct out!

Last edited:

Bammer77

The direct out on most Friedman amps is based on the Mic-No-Mo. I use the direct out on my JJ Jr. at every gig because it sounds amazing. Numerous times, the sound guy has looked at me suspiciously when I ask him to use the direct out, only for the guy to tell me how badass it sounded. Also, no more worries about kicking a mic out of position, which is a relief, plus you know you're getting more consistent tone out of the mains at each gig.

rck

Silver Supporting Member
It’s a good unit, same as what’s in the Runt 50, very handy and simple for gigging.

rolsen

Wonder why Mr. Friedman did me dirty by withholding this feature on my Dirty Shirley Mini.

Why ya done me dirty, Dave?

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
I've had my JJ Jr 1x12 combo for about 4 months now, but never really played with the direct out (mic-no-mo). I decided to play around with it last night to see how it sounded, playing along with a 45 sec drums & bass track I made about 15 years ago.

I was really impressed with the results and it doesn't sound direct, at all, to me.

I did one take with my 52 AVRI Hotrod Tele and another one with my Wolfgang......This was guitar, straight to the amp and a little post FX to the lead in my DAW.

Here's (or hear) the results:

With a Telecaster

With a Wolfgang (excuse the 15yr old pic here, LOL)

Sounds great! I bought the Standalone Mic-No-Mo this past year and use it at my gigs. Love it. Wish my amps had it built in , but alas they don't. . lol

Eric

Silver Supporting Member
There's always this weird fuzziness to the mids with analog cab sims that bother me when playing. It's not as noticeable after layering or through a loud PA though.

snow and steel

Silver Supporting Member
Which setting do you use on tbe axis? Center or edge? I've always used center.

I love mine, such a time saver. I do think it's possible to get a better sound with a mic - if you have an hour to mess with one. Add in a super loud PA and it's definitely not worth the effort. I can use the mic-no-mo and be ready in 2 minutes, instead of unsure if I'm happy after 30 minutes of screwing around with a mic.

For a studio I'd mic - live I use the Friedman unit.

rani

I have two other tube amps that have xlr out with cab emulation, but the cab emulation can be bypassed with the flip of a switch next to the xlr....i can then use other IRs, Cabs, etc....its awesome! i can't find this possibilty with the JJ jr....am i missing it?

Sirloin

Silver Supporting Member
There's always this weird fuzziness to the mids with analog cab sims that bother me when playing. It's not as noticeable after layering or through a loud PA though.
Have you tried the Mic No Mo or the Aiken Gold Brick?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom