Friedman JJ-Jr.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by nicolasrivera, Jan 24, 2019.

1. gravedanger

gravedanger Member

Bought the JJ jr Combo --- sounds great. I also feel like it was a relative deal vs the head and cab. $200 more for the combo but the same separate 1x12 cab is $600?

Anyway, highly recommend. Its very portable and sounds huge. Look forward to cranking it up soon

2. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^

Thanks @Gallery

The only Friedman I’ve played is a Wildwood PT and the gainiest of the settings sounded like diodes. Still a great sound.

Gallery likes this.
  3. gibletpie

gibletpie Member

Just got word my JJ Junior is shipping from Sweetwater, so for anyone waiting, they're coming.

4. Baileyboy1

Baileyboy1 Supporting Member

I just got a JJ Jr today. I was a little concerned about the lack of EQ knobs for the clean channel, but the voicing is nicely dialed in and the three-way bright switch allows for some flexibility across pickups or different guitars.

Of course, the star of the show is the gain channel. This is my first Friedman, so I wasn’t really sure what to expect. I’m
    Playing it through a Mesa 2x12 horizontal cab and it sounds great!

One of the great things is that the gain knob sounds great across the entire sweep range. It’s slightly broken up at the lowest gain setting. At about 9 o’clock on the dial, you’re into some nice classic rock gain sounds. Between 9 o’clock and 3 o’clock, you’ve got a lot of fine tuned gain settings to dial in from classic rock to high gain. The most extreme settings sound great as well, but I think the sweet spots for me are about 10 o’clock and 3 o’clock.

The other thing I like is that setting all tone controls at noon is a really great tone with both humbucker and single coil pickups.

Overall - great amp.

5. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Anyone seen a JJ Junior in the flesh... cant find one in the NYC area

6. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

Generally a SAT switch adds high voltage diode gain. I suspect the only time diodes are a default is on the amps with a high gain channel, such as perhaps the gainiest Butterslax channel. My Friedman, a DS, uses no diodes for clipping.

7. EL84 Abuser

EL84 Abuser Silver Supporting Member

I though Friedman's SAT mod is a diode clipper.- edit: Jimmy beat me to it.
    I LOVE the JJ Jr. I have the head playing through a Bogner 1x12 sealed ported cube in a small room. Sounds HUGE!
    The clean channel is great. I was also worried about the lack of control but it's so well voiced I haven't missed anything.
    Te BE channel is maybe the best I ever played - Bogner Red is looking at me funny right now - it has that thing that
    everyone says. Dime the gain and it still remains articulate with chords. And I've never had an amp react so well to guitar
    knobs.
    JBE is also great but I find I'm so happy with the BE I hardly ever use it.

Glowing Tubes and rwlloyd like this.
  8. Ape2000

Ape2000 Supporting Member

I know the amp captures AIC tones well and I also know it does more than just that.

How's it handle things like Deftones, Muse, A Perfect Circle, and Tool?

9. Jim S

Jim S Gold Supporting Member

Quite loud for 20w.

10. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Supporting Member

Yea, its crazy freaky loud! I had to get an attenuator so I didn't drown out the whole band
    :rockin

11. Anje

Anje Supporting Member

I'm surprised to read some use an attenuator with the JJ Jr, isn't the Master Volume good enough?

12. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

The volume doesn’t come on as gradually as the other Friedmans I have but I personally don’t have any issue making it work at home volume without an attenuator.

Jim S likes this.
  13. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

For other JJ Jr owners, how much noise is normal on the drive channel? With nothing in the loop and no cable in the input, mine has an ever-present hiss that gets louder as you turn the volume up. It's definitely more noise than my Dirty Shirley or BE100 Dlx. And if you plug a cable in it gets significantly louder. I still need to try swapping in new preamp tubes, but I'm wondering if this is just normal for the JJ.

14. Monstercastle

Monstercastle Supporting Member

I ordered the head and 112 cab today. I’ve been kind of regretting selling my Runt and my JVM410 heads, so hopefully this will re-scratch that itch.

ur2funky and starbelly like this.
  15. Monstercastle

Got my head in last week and am solidly impressed. I wish I had ordered a day earlier, as I would have received the 112 vintage cab too, but my hesitating I now have to wait for "June" for the cab. But no worries, I have it hooked to my Avatar Vintage 212 with 2 Creamback M65's and it sounds great. I was concerned about two things in this, 1) that the volume would go from zero to blistering too fast and it does, and 2) that the head would be a one trick pony, and it's not. I find both the BE/JBE setting both very useable, and to clean up very very well with guitar volume. Very versatile Marshall flavored tones. Clean sounds great too. I'm using one of my Hotplates to knock off a few dB when I use the cab in my office/studio. Recording from the direct out into the Apollo sounds fantastic. Great head!

mrwhipple likes this.
  16. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

Man, I recently got the itch to get a smaller, more "Marshall-y" amp, and the JJ Jr seems perfect (plus I'm a huge Alice in Chains fan).

I've read in numerous places that this amp sounds shockingly similar to the big JJ. To any JJ Jr. owners: any qualms about this being EL84-based vs EL34-based?

mrwhipple likes this.
  17. Monstercastle

None from me. Aside from having a few quads of =C= EL34’s in stock that I’d love to make better use of. :D

starbelly and ur2funky like this.