Friedman JJ Jr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by manray, May 31, 2019.

1. manray

manray Silver Supporting Member

I just got off the phone with Josh from Sweetwater and my JJ Jr. is on the way.
    I've had the Dirty Shirley 40 and Small box head and they both sounded very good, just had to flip them to try other amps. From what I've heard on line I think the JJ will fit me fine.
    Anyone else jumping in?

Gasp100, madhermit, mrwhipple and 5 others like this.
  2. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

Congrats man! I had one preordered from SW as well but ended up cancelling it because I bought something and thought I was content, well I'm not. My only concern so far with the JJ Jr is every video I've seen for the best higher gain sounds the gain has to be dimed. I'm sure its still gonna be plenty of gain for the high gain chug type stuff I do, especially since I would hit the front end with a TS-9 or some other boost. Let us know how it turns out.

manray likes this.
  3. gibletpie

gibletpie Member

I think I'll probably be picking one up. Not immediately, though. I just put down for a Retrosonic Flanger, and there's a 2x12 cab in my near future. Probably before the end of the year, though. Definitely looking forward to hearing how you like it.

manray likes this.
  4. Evil Z06

Evil Z06 Member

Mine was also shipped from Sweetwater today :dude

5. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Looking forward to hearing your review.
    I am waiting on MF to receive as I have backstage bucks saved with them.

manray likes this.
  6. Eric Porter

Eric Porter Member

It sounds great on the clips I’ve heard, but I think the DS suits me better

7. PBGas

PBGas Supporting Member

Hope they work out well for those that have them on order. I am still thinking about getting one as well. My thing is that I want to be able to footswitch the BE and JJ channels and would need a volume for the JJ channel. Will check in with Dave to see if that can be done later.

Supercubziggy likes this.
  8. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Isnt that why Cantrell runs two heads because you cant switch between modes? You would think Dave would have added that stock. Imo he should have made the amp with the modes foot switchable or 2 channels and left out cleans. I like the JJ tones but i am not interested in Friedman cleans. Maybe he will make a jj 100 with plexi channel instead of cleans? If its possible That would be awesome.

Well, I am thinking either jj 100 or be 100 deluxe when that is out. If i am gonna spend that type of money i think the deluxe is the best bang for the buck plus it has plexi channel instead of clean. Maybe i should get the mini just to try it and flip it if i dont like it.

9. Mike Lenning

I think the Be-100DLX makes sense for what you're looking for.

10. Adamclayton

Adamclayton Member

I believe, and a few others as well, think the JBE mode is basically the BE cuircit with Saturation (SAT) switch engaged with a couple different cap values maybe.

I’d for sure trade my torrent board Dirty Shirley Mini for a JJ Jrd right now.

11. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Congrats to the guys getting the JJ Jr. Can't wait to hear some new amp day reviews. I foresee one of these in my future.

The reasoning Jerry gave on why footswitching is not available is that he wanted the JJ to be his exact amp as he uses it, in the two head setup as you mentioned. I guess I don't see how the footswitchable BE/JBE option would impede him from still running two amps and better serving the customers.

I can understand that stance with the JJ Sr, but I would have liked to see this available on the Jr. The problem I see is that it would require another knob/control for the JBE master volume and the JJ mini is already jam packed in that little chassis. My guess is that it would have to go on the back panel and he probably didn't want to go that route.

If I were buying a full sized Friedman head now, I would probably order a BE-50 Deluxe with the BE channel modded to the JJ voice as I prefer the Buxon Betty clean (BE-50) over the AC-30 (JJ), plus the footswitchable BE/JBE, plus the added tone sculpting of the resonance and thump controls. Dave said he can do that.

That said, I have no intention of selling my JJ any time soon as it works perfectly for me as is. I can goose the front end of the BE mode with a pedal and get close enough to the JBE tone if I want that on the fly. Plus, it's signed by Jerry.

Looking forward to seeing (and hearing) some of the JJ Jr's in the wild.

manray likes this.
  12. gibletpie

gibletpie Member

This sounds like my (current) idea of the perfect amp. I'm hoping, though, that the JJ Jr. suits my relatively modest needs at a more attractive price. If not, I would have to strongly consider something like you're describing. I really like what I've seen of the BE-50, but prefer the JBE voicing.

13. Gallery

Yeah I went so far as to email with Dave about. I don't remember the cost of modding to JJ spec, but I do remember thinking it was very reasonable. Between cost of the mods to the BE-50 and loss on depreciation selling my JJ, I'd easily be out about $1k. It was't worth it because the JJ works great for me as is. But if I were buying my first Friedman, that would be it.

And I'm with you. To my ears and fingers, the JJ is more JCM while the BE-100 is more JMP. I prefer the more agressive, less vintagey JJ. I've yet to hear another amp that would convince me to trade the JJ voice.

14. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Nice, looking forward to hearing reviews.

15. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Member

The JJ jr. sounds like an absolutely killer amp don't get me wrong, but why wouldn't Dave do a 20 watt (more affordable) version of the BE-50 Deluxe?

fridgit likes this.
  16. Gallery

Because the control set won’t fit on the face of a mini head.

17. Mike Lenning

Most of those tones have been covered in the Runt 20 and PT 20. It made more sense to go with the JJ this time around. A mini Slax would be even better yet.

18. ShinobiKama

ShinobiKama Member

I had the JJ-100 for about a year and absolutely loved it. Recently sold it and my JJ Jr is on its way. The thing is that I just don't need 100w even though I prefer the sounds of higher wattage amps. The way I've been using my Kemper fits all of my needs so the JJ Jr will be a lot more comfortable to keep around. I have a little concern about the clean headroom at higher volume, but hopefully it will be able to stay clean enough for most gigs.

Gallery and manray like this.
  19. MikeSP

MikeSP Supporting Member

Two available right now on Reverb. Heads.

20. man_mars

man_mars Member

This little Friedman sounds like one hell of a versatile amp

gibletpie likes this.