Friedman Lineup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ufguy73, Jan 31, 2015.

1. ufguy73

ufguy73 Gold Supporting Member

Ive been trying to do a lot of searches to get a better feel for multiple models - but im wondering if it might be possible to get some thoughts (from some consistent perspectives) in one place.

Can you guys share some of your thoughts on the tone, feel and maybe some associated or benchamark recordings for each of these models, relative to each other:

- BE100
    - SS100
    - SmallBox
    - Dirty Shirley
    - JJ
    - Phil X

im guessing most of these are going to have some overlap and differences will be things like 'a little more gain', 'firmer feel', etc?

2. rastaman

rastaman Member

Go play them... I did and walked out with a Smallbox. Perfect amp for me.

3. aeiou (why?)

aeiou (why?) Yeah, I'm a serious guy

I shouldn't comment because I haven't played any of 'em, but I've been wondering myself, and I am at home bored on a Saturday night, so here's what (I think) I've figured out... Feel free to edit, add, argue, whatever, i don't care and I already warned that I'm gas-baggin' it:

BE100 is the perfect brown sound, 'best Marshall ever'
    SS100 and Phil X are less bassy than the BE100 but still have BE100 elements, maybe more high-gain-y
    SmallBox is a baby BE100
    Dirty Shirley is the best mid 60s JTM/Bassman, less headroom, more comfort rather than speed
    JJ is Alice In Chains sound, more hi-gain than the BE100

And I want all of them.

That's all I know.

4. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

not quite...haha...

You really do have to play them all...

Funny, when I play the BE100, not VH sounding at all for my style. Just a great, tight sounding modded Marshall...Yet I could do blues, funk, fusion, or jazz on it...Really a jack of all trades and master of many...And the EQ is responsive. You can dial in or out a lot of bass as well as top end bite.

Small Box is not a baby BE. Plexi Channel is totally different than the clean channel on the BE. The BE channel is a bit different as well to my ears...great amp...

The Phil X is actually lower gain than the BE100. It is also single channel with dual masters. Very straight forward amp...I dug it...Somewhat different voicing than a BE...

JJ is my least favorite, but I don't play heavy music like that. Big bottom, mids seem less prominent...

Dirty Shirley is great. Low gain, high gain, whatever. Nice feel to it. I payed bluesy stuff to shredding stuff on it and it sounded great with either...Probably the Friedman I would get.

SS seems like a different flavor of the BE...Cool amp...you really have to play it to see if it is for you compared to the others...

5. ufguy73

thanks for the detailes, guys.

im guessing the BE is more modern sounding than the phil X?

i have an SS now - so that is sort of my starting point. i 'think' its probably pretty similar to a BE or Phil X but i keep having a nagging desire to try those, if it wouldnt be too redundant?

i think the JJ is not for me (i dont do any really heavy stuff) and the smallbox could be cool but i have other stuff that could probably cover what it generally does..

so, hiw about specifically the SS vs BE vs Phil X, anyone?

thanks again

6. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

They all sound different!

I didn't think the Phil X was similar at all to the SS...or the BE...I mean yeah, they all have a Friedman signature, but...

You really do need to play them to see the differences in tone and feel...

When I played them all, the ones I chose most were the Phil X and it was split between the BE/Small Box(because of the plexi channel, I wish the BE had that instead of clean)

The phil x was lower gain and seemed more open and ****...Just a good straight forward M tone without all sorts of options to tweak it. Cleaned up nice with guitar volume.

I felt the BE cleaned up nice too, as well as the SB...

What is it you're searching for? I'm sure your SS will get you most of what the others will do...A lot of this stuff is spitting hairs and you can tweak with speakers, pickups, technique, etc...

7. ufguy73

i really dig the SS...at the same time, i do also kind of like a slighty more open, raw, i guess almost crunchy tone. the SS is almost like a hybrid to me...its not 'all' modern to me (especially with gain below noon) but at the same time, it has a certain gloss, squeak, and polish thats a little more refined.

i wouldnt want to give up some of the bounce and feel of the SS.

because i sort of like things a little bit closer to classic marshall im thinking the BE might take me further away from that than the SS...but thought maybe the Phil X could give me a little more of that raw openess, while still having the other attributes i like about the SS. worth a try or just not going to give me that either?

8. Flash6969

Flash6969 Member

I've asked the same question & so I recorded this little demo. It's the v.1 of a BE100 & the v2 of the SS100 together. I feel the BE has a bit more higher mids = more cut in a band mix. The SS has the best clean channel I've heard in a very long time = amazing. Both have killer dirty channels but are voiced slightly differently. Hope it helps a bit!

http://youtu.be/qD66i8KefXE

9. ufguy73

thanks - nice comparison.

seemed like the BE was a bit more focused, tighter, and maybe a little more upper mid articulation to me