Friedman PT20 CLEAN tone!

bman5150us

I’m so pumped about this. Using my Wampler dB+ clean boost, I can roll my guitar volume back enough to really clean the tone up on this little beast of an amp. I am definitely going to give this a shot at my next gig. It’s not pure Fender clean but I think it sounds great and it’s certainly clean enough. With a few tweaks and some thought, this is quite the little amp! I recorded this tonight using my iPhone XR so take a listen yourself:

bman5150us

Celestion CB 65 and a Scumback M75. What’s wild is those break up fairly early. I’m not pushing the volume too much but I tested it at gig levels and it retains that same tone only even a little sweeter. For live, I’m going to hit the clean boost and roll the volume down for clean tones. I won’t be able to use the boost for increasing solo volumes but it’s really not necessary on the quieter, more dynamic lighter songs we play (like “Santeria” by Sublime, which it what I played in the video.)

samjoereb

I’m so pumped about this. Using my Wampler dB+ clean boost, I can roll my guitar volume back enough to really clean the tone up on this little beast of an amp. I am definitely going to give this a shot at my next gig. It’s not pure Fender clean but I think it sounds great and it’s certainly clean enough. With a few tweaks and some thought, this is quite the little amp! I recorded this tonight using my iPhone XR so take a listen yourself:

Do you think I can get foo fighter tones with the PT-20?

bman5150us

My Peavey Classic is more flexible for sure and it’s also a real workhorse or an amp. But I’d take the PT20 hands down

jimijimmyjeffy

Nice. So much for all those folks who said you can't play clean on one.

I always thought that an underrated amp. That was the first Friedman I ever played, and it turned me on to Friedmans originally.

bman5150us

I’m going to keep playing around with this little beast. If you wanted to clean things up a little more, I think you could also just use it with a more efficient speaker. I’m using it with a CB65, which breaks up very early.

I’ve got a few OD pedals that I’m liking. Now I’m wondering how it would sound if I just set the amp to the edge or just over the edge of breakup and hit the OD pedals for the 80s rock stuff. For reasons unknown to me, I think the amp’s feel and tones is best with the gain switch on full tilt - even if you are just rolling back the guitar volume for cleaner tones. Might be in my head-who knows!

Trending Topics