Friedman Runt 20 issue

k9blek

Hi, I just played my Runt 20 for a full show. Sounded great the first two sets. In the 3rd set I noticed some popping and hum (off and on) but the amp still worked. So I noticed when I was tearing down that the power cord I used didn't fit all that snug into the back of the amp.

The next day I did some trouble shooting and when I manipulated the power cord a little bit BAM .. same issue / sounds.

I then put the power cord in that came with the amp. It worked fine for about 2 minutes then I had the same issue. Anyone run across this before?

tmac

Goldmember
Platinum Supporting Member
Sounds like the cord contacts aren't very tight. Try another cordset and see if it is still problematic. If still and issue it may have a loose connector on the power cord jack inside the amp. I haven't had an issue but I think an easy fix

Noise Under The Floor

Careful, when I mentioned having issues with a brand new fresh out of the box Runt 50 (popping noises, volume fluctuations, static on the clean channel volume) and said I was going to return it, I pretty much got attacked on how it was somehow "user error" by Friedman fan boys here.

k9blek

Ya, I immediately thought tube issue as well but would me moving the power cord back and forth (at the back of the amp) cause the noises to happen if it's a tube issue? Noise Under ... ya I hear ya but I had no issues out of the box and playing it at home several times before the show. Also, like I mentioned the first two sets were right on ... then I had issues. It appears the bass from the music in between the sets was affecting the "loose" plug initially so I thought I had it figured out. Problem is I don't ! I appreciate all input.

k9blek

Sounds like the cord contacts aren't very tight. Try another cordset and see if it is still problematic. If still and issue it may have a loose connector on the power cord jack inside the amp. I haven't had an issue but I think an easy fix

I've tried 3 different power cables. Same result

tmac

Goldmember
I've tried 3 different power cables. Same result
If I recall correctly the power cable connector inside the amp uses insulated push on connectors to connect the power supply, possible one is loose and not making good contact or sometimes in the manufacturing rush doesn't get fully pushed onto the male spade connection. If you're not familiar with working inside amps I wouldn't recommend pulling chassis and diving in but someone should be able to troubleshoot that quickly. If I was close I'd love to work on it for u, sorry I can't be of more help.

k9blek

I'm not comfortable looking into the amp but I have a buddy that services my amps that I trust. Will I ruin a warranty if I open it up?

crazyneddie

Are these types of power cords all the same? I lost the one for my PowerStation at a gig and I have just been using a spare I had. Is this kosher?

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
No need to use the original cable, it's probably not a big deal, and Friedman will take care of it. Warranty shouldn't be ruined if you pull the chassis.

nicolasrivera

Hi, I just played my Runt 20 for a full show. Sounded great the first two sets. In the 3rd set I noticed some popping and hum (off and on) but the amp still worked. So I noticed when I was tearing down that the power cord I used didn't fit all that snug into the back of the amp.

The next day I did some trouble shooting and when I manipulated the power cord a little bit BAM .. same issue / sounds.

I then put the power cord in that came with the amp. It worked fine for about 2 minutes then I had the same issue. Anyone run across this before?

You are not troubleshooting the amp correctly, contact Friedman.

I'm not comfortable looking into the amp but I have a buddy that services my amps that I trust. Will I ruin a warranty if I open it up?
Yes most likely, contact Friedman or see if it can be exchanged with your retailer.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom