Friedman Runt 20 vs Mesa Fillmore 25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by frankencat, Mar 15, 2020.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Silver Supporting Member

I play classic rock and I am looking at these two amps. I tend to gravitate towards the Marshall tones but I have owned a few Boogie over the years and I like them. Never owned a Friedman amp but the Runt 20 has me intrigued. Hit me TGP!

2. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

They're nothing alike. The Fillmore 25 is more like a Fender Deluxe Reverb (I own one and love it).

If you want Marshall tones, the Fillmore is simply not it. Go for the Friedman.

PaisleyWookie and 3 Mile Stone like this.
  3. Dead Astronaut

Dead Astronaut Member

There you are. What a Friedman is to a ’70s Marshall, a Fillmore is to a ’60s blackface Fender: more gain, more channel options, more tone sculpting via a more effective EQ, just more everything.

3 Mile Stone likes this.
  4. frankencat

I don't know if *want* Marshall tones per-se. I dig both of those tones. Listening to clips it seems like the Fillmore crosses into the higher gain territory - not that I am a high-gain guy. I would love to hear clips of both these amps side by side.

5. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Fillmore doesn't do high-gain on its own. But, I've found the Fillmore works well with any OD pedal.

And, my opinion is that it "does classic rock, while not having real (prototypical) Marshall tones in it, but with an EQ or OD pedal, it can get closer to Marshall, if needed.

jens5 likes this.
  6. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

If it was me, I’d lean toward the Friedman.
    I haven’t played the Fillmore 25, but I get the feeling there’s more volume on tap with the Runt 20.

7. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

I think it depends what you want. If you want 'classic rock' then why don't you get a Marshall SV20H and run a volume box in the effects loop?
    The runt is a typical two channel amp. The fillmore is two separate preamps like the Orange AD30 which makes it more flexible. I honestly advise you try to find and play both of them. Mesas are generally difficult to dial in, and Friedmans definitely have their own sound that you will or will not like.

edit: have you considered an AD30? if you don't need a loop, they are a fantastic amp. You can get a used one all day in the 700s.

8. starbelly

starbelly Supporting Member

The Fillmore is not a high gain amp. Full stop. This is coming from a metal player.

Again they're completely different amps. Do you want a Fender-like amp? Go for the Fillmore. DO you want a Marshall-like amp? Go for the Runt.

9. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Not even sure I'd say that's entirely spot on. I've had the 25 and the 100, and while the gain isn't Marshall-ish, it definitely isn't Fender-ish, either, to my ears. It falls somewhere in the middle.

Hell, I was able to coax some really convincing Maiden tones out of the 25, with just a bit of boost, using my McCarty.

The cleans can range from BF to Tweed, IMO, with a small twist of the gain and mid knobs.

JoeB63 likes this.
  10. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

This is correct.

11. SleepingSG

SleepingSG Member

Is not the Fillmore a tweed circuit with Mesa features and switches and some extra gain?
    Isn’t that what a Marshall is?
    Fillmore is the way to go imo. The clean is so good.

12. batsbrew

batsbrew Member

a great pairing IMHO, would be the filmore with a friedman BE-OD pushing the front end,
    set up properly,
    you could have the best of both worlds.

13. Senor Forum

This is pretty much the answer. The BE-OD isn't perfect, but it'll get you a hell of a lot closer to both worlds than getting the Friedman would. :)

DV52 likes this.
  14. DV52

DV52 Member

The clean on the Runt is supposed to be very good , It is a two channel amp ,
    I have a friend, who is a top notch player ( owns Germino,Suhr Badger 35 etc) that has one (I have not played it) and said is a great amp . He also has the Fillmore 50 .
    @Senor Forum is spot on if you want that semi Fender clean with an added stink Fillmore and BEOD . I have not played the Fillmore ,but I have tested a DRRI with the BEOD , and you could cover a lot of ground with that.

15. frankencat

I am going to try them both. I just ordered the Friedman so I'll check that out first. BTW There is a used Fillmore 50 head at SW if anyone is looking for one. If its still there in a couple of weeks I will probably pick it up but I really want to try the 25 with the 6V6's.

16. Senor Forum

The 100 and the 50 are both amazing, and I actually thought I liked the 100 more than the 25 for a while, but ultimately, the 25 is just a sweet sounding amp. It has a really, really unique, awesome tonal character that the others just don't quite reach. It's just this sweetness that seems to sit on every note. The 50 and 100 may sound a touch bigger, but they just don't have that sweetness.

I absolutely don't need it, but I'll likely end up with a 25 again at some point. I swear I've had dreams about that amp.

17. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Gold Supporting Member

The Fillmore series is what the Fender SuperSonic should have been + a reliable handle.