Friedman Runt or DS?

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
Which should I get? I'm looking for a classic rock tone in a small package... something I can use in an apartment. The Runt 20 Combo looks like it has everything I want... has anyone compared it to a Dirty Shirley? Or the DS mini for that matter? Let me know your thoughts.

Deluzion

classic rock marshall tone from a pure tube amp with that many watts in a apartment will need a good reamper like a Fryette PS-x imo.

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
classic rock marshall tone from a pure tube amp with that many watts in a apartment will need a good reamper like a Fryette PS-x imo.
I have a BadCat Unleash V2 with a headphone out so I'm set there... just need to figure out an amp. More concerned about size than wattage.

ledzep618

I have the Runt 50. Ive played a DS before and they're both good but different. If you like more modern tones and wanted a dedicated clean channel get the Runt. If you're more the crank the amp and ride the volume type get the DS.

The internal load and DI on the Runt is. I've and sounds great so if you're really volume limited you can plug it up to an interface and play through monitors or headphones

Defendant

No wrong pick here. DS is my fave -great cleans, fatter and a bit more authentic 70s sounding, but still enough gain to get a bit naughty.

The Runt has a faster attack and excels at the hair metal thing.

truckin

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the help fellas. Think I'm going to go for the 1x12 40W Dirty Shirley Combo

Shalafi

Either one will work but I can't stress enough on how good my 1x12 Dirty Shirley combo sounds, just a phenomenal sounding and well built amp with an equally amazing master volume that works for both home and stage volumes.

I disagree, both are great low low volume amps. Best master volume going.
Yeah, like many Friedman owners I've a/b'd cranked power tube, versus low master volume preamp tones.

The power amp tones on my DS40 are amazing cranked with the gain switched to low. But the low volume preamp overdrive and tone is not "worse", per se, only more modern.

If you want true old school Marshall tones and are picky, you still have to crank it just like with an old Marshall. All the best boutique amps have tonal changes as you dial down cranked power tubes while adding preamp gain. But with every Friedman, except the pedal platform Buxom Betty, you get a convincing contemporary overdriven guitar sound down to bedroom volumes. The discerning ear will notice it getting more modern with less volume, but not really worse. Louder sounds better for biological reasons, because it's more fun.

AD1982

The Dirty Shirley is the absolute best sound classic, but modified classic Marshall amp out there. Unfortunately, I've not played the Mini. If it's anything like it's big bro, it'll be incredible.

That being said, the Runt 20 Combo will get you there too. Though I tend to prefer it with my MXR 10 Band EQ in the loop for more modern flavors. It does classic all by itself.

They have different tonal styles altogether though. The DS has great low end presence and bloom. The Runt is more direct, where the DS is saggy and spongy. I love reverb, and I find that I don't need it on the DS as much as I do with the Runt. I think the Runt might punch thru a bit easier due to the high-mid frequency it puts out. Though it insanely loud, try a high output clean boost thru the clean channel at higher settings. The crunch from that sounds great.

Friedman is putting out some high quality stuff.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom