• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Friedman Runt vs Bogner Shiva?

Tele81

I currently own a el34 Shiva which I love. For those of you that have had/played both how do they compare? I'm not a high gain guy and love the mid gain tones the shiva gives up and it has great cleans. How does the clean channel of the runt compare? How about the low~mid gain tones? All these runt threads have me gassing pretty hard just not 100% I ant to move the shiva along just yet...

jvstrat

BoogiemanSc on this forum had a shiva and got rid of it after getting the runt. I have no experience with the shiva, but I have the runt 20 head and I love it.

Tele81

BoogiemanSc on this forum had a shiva and got rid of it after getting the runt. I have no experience with the shiva, but I have the runt 20 head and I love it.
I read that. I've played the runt 20 and was very very impressed. It did the hotrodded Marshall thing very well. Id like to hear from people who've done the side by side thing. While the Friedman is very impressive I'm not sure it has the shiva beat in the clean department. Although very different the smooth low mids of the shiva are addicting it'll be a big leap for me to do the swap.

JES1680

Silver Supporting Member
What sixrails said. Shiva OD channel is more scooped than the Runt IMO great sounding but the Runt is more Marshall than the Shiva. I gigged a Shiva for a few years and it was great. I do prefer the more mid focused M sound of the Runt though.

ledzep618

Hard to go wrong with either, and I've only spent a small amount of time with a Shiva but from what I remember I'd take the Runt.

The Runt is the first channel switcher I've played where the two channels sound like they were voiced to compliment each other.

dpgreek

Silver Supporting Member
Realy digging my runt 50 combo. Was using w two notes captor today and going into hx stomp w celestion IR. The ampg came w broken 12aX7 is 1st spot... so Ive been using a 12ay7. I feel like that helped the clean a lot as I could get it up to 4-5 without any grit on humbucker bridge.Today I put a mullard 12ax7 back in and I cant get it past 1.5-2 without hair on clean. But the gain channel sounds even better than before. I figured I might get more clean headroom out of a 50 watt though

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
I own 2 x Shivas & really like them but also own a ‘68 JMP50, so classic Marshall is covered.

Have never had a Runt but love the BE100 & the Dirty Shirley that I used to own.

I suppose it depends on what you like. Marshall, modded Marshall or Bogner Marshall. The clean on my Shiva 6L6 is about as good as it gets IMHO.

:beer

Trending Topics

Top Bottom