Friedman Smallbox questions...

King Tone

I recently got one of these and need a couple of tips on getting it dialed in.

I had the idea of using the BE channel with gain about 7-8 and use pedals to boost for solos. I have tried a few different things and haven't totally got it right. Maybe too much gain upfront. I did try a pedal in the loop at home and that seemed to be better although out of my drives one was great at that and all the others were not good in that location. It allowed me to bring in a bit more HBE type gain and tweak the tone and volume.

What are your favorite speakers/cab with this amp? I am not happy with a 1x12. I think I am hoping for a more 2x12 closed back thump.

So questions are--
what drives are you guys using in the loop?
does this amp really need a closed back cab to make the sound it is supposed to make?
creambacks, greenbacks?

thank you!

Bunny101412

I have a Smallbox with 2 x 12 closed back cabinet w/Vintage 30s. I use tc Spark boost in the loop to get volume boost for solos.

King Tone

Are you getting any gain out of the spark as well? Like a bit of extra volume with close to HBE gain added? Regular spark or mini? I know regular has some more versatility. Maybe a good job for the suhr koko boost...

John 14:6

I recently got one of these and need a couple of tips on getting it dialed in.

I had the idea of using the BE channel with gain about 7-8 and use pedals to boost for solos. I have tried a few different things and haven't totally got it right. Maybe too much gain upfront. I did try a pedal in the loop at home and that seemed to be better although out of my drives one was great at that and all the others were not good in that location. It allowed me to bring in a bit more HBE type gain and tweak the tone and volume.

What are your favorite speakers/cab with this amp? I am not happy with a 1x12. I think I am hoping for a more 2x12 closed back thump.

So questions are--
what drives are you guys using in the loop?
does this amp really need a closed back cab to make the sound it is supposed to make?
creambacks, greenbacks?

thank you!
I have a 2x12 closed back Avatar cabinet that I use with my Smallbox and it is a great match. Lots of low end thump. I would not use a drive pedal in loop. Use a clean boost in the loop if you want a solo boost. Use a drive pedal in front of the amp if you want to use them for gain boosting. I have three overdrive pedals on my board and use different ones depending on what tones I am going for. I have a Maxon OD808, Boss Waza Craft Blues Driver and a reissue DOD250 overdrives on my board. Save your loop for time based effects like delay pedals.

King Tone

I never tried a gain boost in a loop before (and read about it) but the mad professor simble actually works great like that. I will be running the loop with a volume pedal for master volume as well as delay, etc. On another note I just tried a 2x12 at my local GC and...yeah...I have been missing a lot of tone! Also the archer silver sounds great as a front end boost.

Last edited:

guitarspaz

Minimal if any gain boost with the Spark. I'm using the full feature spark. Usually set it to fat or mid. Acts more like a tube scream on the mid setting without lopping off the lows. I actually run it into the front end instead of the loop. I tried it both ways and it works well either way but I liked it in front better. People have used the koko boost to good effect as well. Biggest thing to realize is that the Smallbox is not the BE 100. Even the gain channel is voiced a little bit different from the Brown Eye channel of the BE 100. I don't think you can boost it into HBE tone and really get it sounding as tight and compressed as the HBE channel of the BE 100. It's a more classic voiced amp. Its a plexi and a modded plexi and that's it. Which is great imo

King Tone

Cool on the spark info. I realize it is what it is. I think I prefer it over the BE for the most part but some more compression and sustain for solos is a good thing for me and I think the archer will do exactly what I want. It does not have to be a tight metal type sound just looking for more singing. For those who have not tried the archer with the smallbox...check it out. I thought it was amazing. Much better than anything I have tried so far.

guitarspaz

If you want to make your single note lines punch through for solos and have more sustain I like to use an eq. I have a cheap danelectro eq. Every frequency is pushed down a little bit except for the 800k which is boosted wide open. The level is boosted just a touch. It cuts and sustains without adding a bunch of gain or noise. Kind of gives you a cocked wah sound.

big mike

Fire Josh McDaniels!
Platinum Supporting Member
Def needs closed back with a v30 ish speaker.

Personally I would set my max gain I needed and dial it back with guitar volume. Stick a volume pedal in the loop for lead volume increases

King Tone

Def needs closed back with a v30 ish speaker.

Personally I would set my max gain I needed and dial it back with guitar volume. Stick a volume pedal in the loop for lead volume increases

agreed, this is the way I want to do it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom