Friedman Tone Testing

Which one do you prefer?

• Total voters

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
Shoot, I dig both. I could use either and be completely happy. What are you using?

Yea it's pretty close. The rigs are Fractal FM3, Friedman BE V1 FAT (I don't think I moved a virtual knob LOL) and York Audio 212 DV77 Mix #1
The other rig is a Friedman PT20 on the medium gain setting into Suhr RL-IR using the same York Audio 212 DV77 Mix #1. Very close, I enjoy playing the amp more even in this scenario, but I think either would track very well. I'm surprised how close the FM3 gets even in terms of "feel".

Akeron

I prefer the first. The second sounds a little more "dead" in the first part of the clip. The second part is really close to the first but it seems it has less gain

Qstick333

Silver Supporting Member
Liked both and either would be totally usable but I like 1 a little better. Seems a little less fizzy to me, but I’d be happy with either.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
They sound very similar.

I heard a little harshness in the high end of #1 during the middle section but otherwise there was no difference I considered significant.

bumboclaat

Silver Supporting Member
#1 is the FM3 and #2 is the amp loaded down if that wasn't clear up top. It's close enough to be a wash for me and now of course the sideways glances at gear begin LOL... :huh

The FM3 has 6 different Friedman BE channels and 6 different HBE channels from various years, plus the Friedman Smallbox and two Dirty Shirleys.

Pink Taco heading to the emporium:bong

Gasp100

Silver Supporting Member
The FM3 has 6 different Friedman BE channels and 6 different HBE channels from various years, plus the Friedman Smallbox and two Dirty Shirleys.

Pink Taco heading to the emporium:bong

I guess I just have to admit the FM3 and I are intrinsically entwined and no matter how hard I try to move in different directions, we keep finding one another again, and again, and again...

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
I guess I just have to admit the FM3 and I are intrinsically entwined and no matter how hard I try to move in different directions, we keep finding one another again, and again, and again...

I like having some Fractal gear in the house. Whether it's the FM3, FM9 or III depends on your needs.

Personally, I love the FM3. If you're using it in a situation where you need less than 9 footswitch options it's a viable piece of gear for sure.

Brandon7s

They sound incredibly similar, the only difference I could hear was that #2 had a little more low end depth and was a tiny bit more boomy, but you could easily adjust #1 to match that with increasing the Depth knob on the Fractal. Both sounded great, though I'd probably pick #1 because the low end on #2 might be an issue in a band mix, but if I was using it on it's own then I'd go with #2.

Now I need to pick up that cab pack from YA, I don't have that one yet but I like it!

Last edited:

JiveTurkey

Trumpets and Tants
Silver Supporting Member
They both sound great... just like the Helix Placater. :drink
larry-david.gif

Trending Topics

Top Bottom