Friend sells boutique board for AX8, what will he miss?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by DeVilleDude, Mar 2, 2019.

1. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

So my good buddy/former band mate gigs in a Dead tribute band, covering Weir's slot. With my suggestions over the last 7 years, he had built a big Pedal Train board full of prime pedals, plus a Hard Truckers cab, and has been powering it with a Mesa TA15. The rig sounded and recorded beautifully, and got tons of compliments on his tone at gigs.

A recent health issue got him thinking about the load in/out, setup time, and stage real-estate it took up. So in one big selling binge, he dumped all but 2 of his pedals to fund an AX8, and plans to gig direct to board, plus a good stage monitor. Question for those who have switched, what will he miss, if anything?

2. RLD

RLD Member

It's impossible to say as everyone's wants, needs and tastes are different.
    Personally, I love my AX8>CLR rig. It sounds great at any volume, the palette of FX is impressive, footprint is small, load in/out is quick.
    Some people are unable to bond with this type of setup, but I have.

BigWave, MIJLOVER and mdubya like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Member

I put a couple of my favorite drive pedals (RangerMaster, OD808, Colorsound Overdriver) in front of my AX8. The modulations and reverbs and delays in the AX8 are fooking amazing, IMHO. The outboard drives allow for nearly infinite OD and Fuzz combinations when mixed with the onboard Fractal Drives.

Like @RLD, I could live solely with my AX8>XiTone (and my cheater pedals :p). But then I start fooling around with splitting the signal between the XiTone and my 2204 and vintage greenbacks. The depth of tone at that point is downright decadent.

I would have zero problems going to a jam with just the AX8 and XiTone, though.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  4. hippietim

hippietim Member

There’s a guy on the Fractal board that is in a Dead tribute band as well and uses an AX8. He’s posted clips and he’s got the sounds nailed - he does the Jerry role. I would recommend he seek that guy out for tips.

I’ve been gigging with Fractal rigs direct for over a decade now and I don’t miss pedals and tubes at all. I’m in the process now of unloading all that stuff.

Hackdog69 and JiveTurkey like this.
  5. FPFL

FPFL Member

he'll miss... buying batteries, the higher noise floor, "magic" patch cables that cost $50 each...

Noise Under The Floor likes this.
  6. Willowdale

Willowdale Member

He'll miss the years he didn't have an AX8...

7. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

I wouldn't think a weir board would need a whole lot of pedals. Comp, od, and EF and you'd be set... Unless you go into the midi guitar stuff.

What was on the original board that needs to be recreated for this role?

Also.... What mode was he using on the TA15? Lots of range on that amp.

8. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

9. KenG

KenG Member

He might miss.....wait for it......the amp in the room. Someone has to say it.:anon

chumbucket and arislaf like this.
  10. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

It's a rip-off anyway.

ElectricPhase likes this.
  11. Ejay

Ejay Member

A guitar speaker.
    Axe will replace the pedals easy...but not a guitar cab.
    Changing from guitar speaker to a monitor is very (very) high impact...and If you ask me...a big compromise to sound.
    If he doesnt like is new set up...plug that Axe into the return of his amp that i hope he still owns.

12. Noah

Noah Supporting Member

I don't know if it's been fixed, but the one thing that made me give up on the AX8 was when I had one years ago it couldn't do seamless scene or preset switching. There was always a lag. I was also the lead singer of my group, so couldn't stand there and plan out every preset change ahead of time. For me, it was extremely aggravating hitting the switch to change presets (to go into a solo for example) and it wouldn't change immediately.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  13. the.godfather

the.godfather Member

Has your buddy thought of maybe just downsizing his board? As has been said already, I wouldn't think a Weir board would need much in the way of pedals. Weir himself only uses a couple of Eventide H9's the last time I looked, rigged-up to a couple of iPads. That's pretty much it.

The last time I saw his rig mentioned in detail was here, well worth a read! - http://fatjimmyamps.com/bob-weir-custom/

14. Noise Under The Floor

Noise Under The Floor Silver Supporting Member

"In the drag of this atmosphere" (Maryland)
    In some respects I’d have to agree with you. Sounds great, but not the best thought out UI. I sold mine....to fund an AxeIII :D

15. ElectricPhase

ElectricPhase Member

[​IMG]

16. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Thanks for the responses. Y'all have made him more confident with his bold move. ;) @Ejay, yes, he's keeping the TA15 and HT cab, and also has the original Mesa 112 cab. It's too nice a rig on its own to part with, especially with the custom dye grille cloth.

17. josetxu

josetxu Member

I could tell what I missed for more than two years with the AX8: My KoT, my Wampler Ego Compressor, a good Muff, the hability of change settings on the fly if needed.

Tell him not sell anything before a lot time using the AX8

18. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

I have a handicap too. And it impacts my gear. My head is also a TA15. My cab is a lightweight 112. I own a stomp and a DXR 10. I'm not playing through 50 lb tube amps and 412 cabinets. I physically can't carry them. So my handicap determines my gear. I play my stomp sitting down at my solo gigs but when in a band standing I'll probably have to play independent pedals as the switches will probably be too close on the stomp.

The main thing is the amp in the room. It is totally different. But if he has a handicap and this is what he has to do to keep playing who cares? The main thing is to play and make it work for you. The audience won't notice anyway, even if its a low volume gig with vocals and maybe kick through pa. If everything is usually mic'd, the crowd definitely won't notice this vs a high end modeler.

19. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

he will miss . . . .

carrying a big rig around.