Friend's guitar feels much slinkier

rich2k4

my friend has a wildwood 10 strat, with string gauge 11-49.

My tele has a string gauge of 10-46, yet his guitar feels very slinky like it has 10's on it, and the strings feel thinner then the 10's i have on my guitar. The 10's on my tele are a little bit harder to bend, not sure why

for example A note on second fret G string. On my guitar you need to put in a little force to bend it. On his guitar, with gauges bigger then mine, it's a lot easier to bend.

what the hell is going on here?

I wish i had a guitar where i can put 11's on it and have it still be really slinky, but every single guitar i own is somewhat stiff on the strings, it sucks.

candid_x

Couple thoughts.

Not all brands of the same gauge string have the same feel or tension. Plus, the strat's string length is probably different than your tele's, and you may be feeling the flex of a floating trem when you bend a string, giving the impression of a slinkier feel. Or any combination of the above.

rich2k4

aren't strats and tele's both 25.5 scale length?

also his strat has all 5 springs on tight, that trem ain't moving.

my tele has a 9.5 inch radius, his has a 10". mine has medium jumbo frets and his has those 6120 frets or whatever.

he also uses elixer 11-49 while i use d'addario 10-46

Amazing how two guitars, identical visually and in specs, strung with the exact same strings, can feel totally different.

I've owned strats that were just slinkier guitars and those that have been much stiffer, even though there wasn't any reason for them to feel different from one another.

I think the Elixers are going to feel much slinkier, though. I'm off D'Addario strings for good -- they are a little stiffer than I like.

DANOCASTER

Silver Supporting Member
look at the height of the 3 saddles ( assuming a vintage style bridge )

the lower those saddles are , the shallower the angle as they break over the saddles and go thru the body - the shallower that angle , the slinkier it feels

regardless - some guitars just fight you - but the higher the saddles, the stiffer the feel GENERALLY speaking

Demioblue

Silver Supporting Member
my tele has a 9.5 inch radius, his has a 10". mine has medium jumbo frets and his has those 6120 frets or whatever.

he also uses elixer 11-49 while i use d'addario 10-46
One thing though. Action? Lower action set ups can be harder to bend than higher action setips.

K-Line

Vendor
Trems guitars are more slinky than hardtail cause the trem gives a bit with the bend. A top notch set up can get almost any guitar to feel the way you want. The tech has to know how to do it!

Selsaral

Personally I find higher action vastly easier to bend on. It's possible his guitar has higher action and that this explains the difference.

for example A note on second fret G string. On my guitar you need to put in a little force to bend it. On his guitar, with gauges bigger then mine, it's a lot easier to bend.
This is one of the classic symptoms of low action. I use this particular bend as my primary guide to saddle height.

phantasm

It's possible that your friend's guitar had the frets polished really well- it can help alot!

alberob

After I removed 2 of the 5 springs and floated the trem so it works up and down,it has a much more slinky feel.Bending strings became much easier as you can see the bridge rise when you bend the strings.It works for me.:warning

buddastrat

All guitars have their own feel and I've had guitars where .010's feel slinkier on one than another. Some strats make .010's feel like .011's, like the Eric Johnson strats I had, were terribly stiff players. Even after all the mods, from less springs, looser springs, to floating the trem, to strings to shimming neck forward for lower break angles blah blah. The only thing that helped was a new neck. As soon as I swapped on a new neck, with the exact same set of strings, I noticed an amazing difference in feel. From all my experimenting it really seemed the neck determined how stiff or slinky the strings would feel.

Besides becoming more slinky, the EJ strats also got a deeper, thicker tone. Lost some of that sharpness in the tone. I did this experiment with two EJ strats and got same results.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
As far as strings, I feel the DiAddario 9.5s are as slinky as Ernie Ball 9 super slinkeys. So much for the name.

Moctzal

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but action may be slightly higher at the nut on your guitar than it is on his. This definitely affects playability on the guitars I've owned and having a properly set up nut does a lot for a guitar.

Also different brands and construction materials/processes produce different tension strings of the same guage.

Mark Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
Your instrument may have more relief in the neck. I've never fully comprehended why, but time and time again, I've found that when one of my guitars starts feeling tight, the truss rod needs a little tweak. I flatten out the relief to pretty much dead straight and the feel improves. I wish I understood it better.

The string guage cores could also be different. I don't know a lot about the Elixer strings, but I tried a set when they came out and I left that one set on a Strat for nearly a year, and they were nice to play. Just too much money for me to purchase more sets at the time. I do know that core guages vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and string type to type. For example GHS Boomers, certainly have larger cores and a tighter feel than Ernie Ball Slinkys of the same marked guages, wound strings anyway.

Selsaral

The string guage cores could also be different. I don't know a lot about the Elixer strings, but I tried a set when they came out and I left that one set on a Strat for nearly a year, and they were nice to play. Just too much money for me to purchase more sets at the time. I do know that core guages vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and string type to type. For example GHS Boomers, certainly have larger cores and a tighter feel than Ernie Ball Slinkys of the same marked guages, wound strings anyway.
Would this explain why I found Fender Bullet pure-nickel wound strings a bit stiffer than other strings I've tried?

rwijaya

try a different strings first. try d'addario pure nickel set same gauge as the one you have. if that still feels the same, then it might be your set up.

All guitars have their own feel and I've had guitars where .010's feel slinkier on one than another. Some strats make .010's feel like .011's, like the Eric Johnson strats I had, were terribly stiff players. Even after all the mods, from less springs, looser springs, to floating the trem, to strings to shimming neck forward for lower break angles blah blah. The only thing that helped was a new neck. As soon as I swapped on a new neck, with the exact same set of strings, I noticed an amazing difference in feel. From all my experimenting it really seemed the neck determined how stiff or slinky the strings would feel.

Besides becoming more slinky, the EJ strats also got a deeper, thicker tone. Lost some of that sharpness in the tone. I did this experiment with two EJ strats and got same results.
Second that. although i like the stiff feels that the EJ strat gives. I think its more acoustic. it takes time to adjust to it though.

GeetarGoul

My guess is that your friend's guitar probably has a more rigid neck. Sounds backwards, but isn't. I've found that I like guitars to be not too "tight" or too "slinky", but rather somewhere in between. Overly slinky guitars often have less "punch" and "hit" the amp softer.

guzman

look at the height of the 3 saddles ( assuming a vintage style bridge )

the lower those saddles are , the shallower the angle as they break over the saddles and go thru the body - the shallower that angle , the slinkier it feels

regardless - some guitars just fight you - but the higher the saddles, the stiffer the feel GENERALLY speaking
This. I just made the experiment with my jazzmaster, and it's like day and night.