Frieze Carpet Owners, Advice Sought

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by The Smith, Apr 27, 2015.

1. The Smith

The Smith Supporting Member

My wife and I recently ordered frieze carpeting for our home. It won't be installed for another 2-3 weeks. While researching what vacuum to use on it, I came across quite a few homeowners disenchanted with it. Specifically: it frays if vacuumed with a beater bar/brush, and retains dirt deep down if vacuumed without using a beater bar.

I haven't signed any contract, but I've put down a non-refundable $200 deposit on it. I'd like to hear some anecdotal stories as we decide whether to proceed with the purchase.

Thanks

2. The Smith

3. The Smith

This must be a berber crowd.
    :dunno

4. gght

gght Member

Lime green shag.

5. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Unhappy with ours. Bought a complete new construction home in November 2007. The home is pretty high end but I don't know how good the carpet is. All I know is it took about a year to look really worn and it doesn't respond real well to vacuuming. I would not choose a frieze again.

6. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

Machine made wall to wall carpet is always a bad choice. 100% wool is okay for some applications like bedrooms. Anything with synthetic fibers gives off toxic fumes and starts to look cheap and dirty quickly. Wool is the way to go on the floor. Hand knotted wool is always best but pricey.