Fripp's Guitar???

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by fzkicksbuttock, Oct 13, 2005.

1. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Does anyone have any pictures or information on Robert Fripp's LP like guitar(s)? On the Eyes Wide Open DVD it looks like some sort of custom made LP with a tremolo and possibly a sustaniac (a la Fernandes) system. Any ideas? I think I remember reading it was made by some obscure South American luthier.

EDIT: Here's a picture of it.

http://www.guitar.ru/gallery/fripp/fripp1.gif

2. drezdin

drezdin Member

forgive me,... I recall incorrectly.

Sorry

3. Chrome Dinette

Chrome Dinette Silver Supporting Member

I used to do live sound work and dealt with Projekt One, once. His guitars were Tokai LP copies with Kahler trems and a sustainiac in the neck.

4. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

Cool! Thanks for the info. I guess he must've used different lp-style guitars over the years, because in the dvd I have, he's using what is an obvious custom lp (different inlays, different headstock, etc.). Either its a different guitar, or maybe Tokai made him a truly custom one :)confused: ).

5. Chrome Dinette

Maybe it was Fernandes when I saw him, I know they were very faithful looking LP copies.

6. fzkicksbuttock

fzkicksbuttock Member

This is the best picture I could find of the guitar I'm talking about... Notice the completely custom headstock (would Tokai or Fernandes do this?)

[​IMG]

7. Chrome Dinette

Hmm, the time I saw him, it was definitely a recognizeable name on the guitar, I would believe Tokai or Fernandes. I suppose Fripp can afford to play anything he wants and I wouldn't be surprised if he has had custom stuff made.

8. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

9. simeon

simeon Member

there's a company based in New York who i know have made him some custom stuff, but i can't for the life of me remember what they're called - it's something like 5th Street, or 51st Street guitars...they have a shop too...

sim

10. Neill

Neill Member

yeah... the shop is on whatever street in new york has all the music stores... and is named after that street. on the power to believe sleeve, it says the name but i dont have the sleeve handy. that is a sweet looking guitar on eyes wide open.

on a semi-related note... does anyone know what kind of switching and electronics belew has on board his strat. i saw him in buffalo this year but he was playing his parker so i wasn't able to check out his strat up close. is there some kind of mic on his strat? sustainer p/up?

11. simeon

simeon Member

definitely a sustainer...beyond that, i'm not sure...

pretty sure he has switches for the pickup selection, rather than the five way toggle...

got the Eyes Wide Open DVD (excellent, by the way) and there are a couple of nice close-ups of his guitar...

cheers

sim