Frist NGD in three years and it's a doozy!

Gitarman

Confession time: Through all my years of playing guitar, I’ve only owned one actual Fender, an 80s MIJ Strat that came to me in the early 90s with a suspiciously missing serial number. Call it bad mojo or something, but I never quite bonded with that guitar and ended up giving it away some years later after totally tearing it apart, refinishing it, and re-building it so that the body is the only original component remaining. Although I love the sound of a good Strat and have tried many over the years since, I’m afraid that my experience with that one tainted my perceptions… until now.

While chatting with my wife recently, she mentioned how much she liked a particular song by Lincoln Brewster, which led me to opening her ears up to his guitar work and a brief mention that I had heard (probably here on TGP) that Fender put out a LB Signature a couple of years ago that was supposedly pretty sweet. She’s also noted around that time that I had a Fender-shaped hole in my collection (yeah, she’s a keeper!).

Over the past month or so, she had sort of dropped a few hints like she’d love to get me a new guitar for my upcoming B-day, but it wasn’t something that I actually expected because we put the band on hiatus back in November and have only been playing around the house or in church since.

Fast forward to this past Saturday and I’m just sitting down after helping my brother with a home improvement project when she comes out of one of the kids’ rooms with a box that she ‘found’. My first question was, “Is there a bag of candy in there?”…. “Maybe”, she says with a sly smile. Then I opened the box and was blown away to find this!

PXL_20220529_030000594.MP.jpg

*cell phone pic

LB00759-angle-xlarge.jpg

LB00759-front-xlarge.jpg

*pics from SW gallery

I had listened to a few online clips of the LB Strat when it was first announced, but didn’t give much thought to the details as Strats are rarely on my radar. Needless to say, I should have paid closer attention! This thing is pretty much everything I could ask for in a Strat and really sings!

It’s been a busy few days, but I finally spent a couple of hours last night getting to know the controls and was able to dial in some really awesome sounds by rolling the volume and tone down and setting the mid boost to around 6 or 7, as suggested by Lincoln in one of his demo vids. With only one other SSS guitar in my arsenal (a SUPER heavy Squier Strat that I rarely play), I’m really enjoying the added flavor of these DiMarzios. I only made a very slight spring adjustment to get the bridge where I like it, but everything else was spot on right out of the box.

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
HNGD - gold/maple Strats look fantastic!

I'm not sure your camera is doing it full justice - more like this in real life?

PXL-20220529-030000594-MP-3.jpg

...either way, I want one!

Last edited:

70 Mach 1

Silver Supporting Member
nice
But I told Mrs 70 never ever to come home with any gear for me.
She asked why. I said its as personal to a player as pantys, stockings and shoes are to a woman.
she completely understood about the feel part. Then I said there's weight factor involved too. she looked puzzled

so i took her to GC one saturday and i put 5 different guitars in her hands and she said now i get it

Gitarman

HNGD - gold/maple Strats look fantastic!

I'm not sure your camera is doing it full justice - more like this in real life?

PXL-20220529-030000594-MP-3.jpg

...either way, I want one!
yeah... That pic was taken in minimal lighting soon after I unboxed it. The Sweetwater pics are of my actual guitar and more accurately represent the color.

Gitarman

nice
But I told Mrs 70 never ever to come home with any gear for me.
She asked why. I said its as personal to a player as pantys, stockings and shoes are to a woman.
she completely understood about the feel part. Then I said there's weight factor involved too. she looked puzzled

so i took her to GC one saturday and i put 5 different guitars in her hands and she said now i get it
Understand completely. My girl is a singer and pianist who goes nuts when playing a non-weighted keyboard, so she 'gets it'. Aside from quizzing me about my preferences, she actually did a BUNCH of research into wood types, guitar construction, etc. and reached out to several other guitarists before buying the PRS (my #1) in my avatar.

PBGas

Silver Supporting Member
Well that is a heck of a nice birthday surprise! Enjoy and nicely done!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom