Froggy Bottom!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Guitarzan, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

So, I'm wondering how many fine members here own a Froggy Bottom and would care to comment on them. I've have played a few and they were by far the finest acoustics I've ever played. Hoping to get one oneday. Especially would like to hear from people who own the ooo style! Thanx everyone. Lets see some Froggy Bottoms!

2. gnugear

gnugear Member

I played one about 10 years ago but haven't found a local dealer since. I remember it sounding great ... and they look heavenly.

3. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I don't own one, but I've played a few. There's a great music store that carries mainly high end acoustics and mandolins, called the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. They're a Froggy Bottom dealer and seem to have a decent amount of their guitars in stock. Very nice looking guitars with incredible playability.

4. Mr. Sparkle

Mr. Sparkle Member

I played one at Buffalo Bros. in San Diego a short time ago. It was, by far, the finest sounding, playing, looking, and smelling acoustic I have ever played.

5. Ogre

Ogre Member

I played one recently at Hill Country Guitars in Wimberley, TX. It was excellent, and not inexpensive.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

7. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

Froggy is, by quite a ways, my favorite current builder of traditional-style acoustic guitars. If I could only get myself to stop buying electric guitars and amplifiers for a year or so, I'd own a Froggy Bottom model K Deluxe.

Awhile back, the aforementioned Music Emporium laid out three Model Ks for me -- Braz, Indian, and Mahogany, all with Adirondack spruce tops -- and I spent a good couple of hours playing and swapping between the three of them. What a treat. And yes, Martha, Brazilian makes a difference!

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I haven't played one in a long time but they are made by Michael Millard in Vt., who is a friend and is/was a colleague of my friend Wm. Cumpiano back in the 70s (I think they both worked for Gurian at the same time before opening their own luthieries). Bill had only great things to say about him & his work.

Outstanding stuff, I'd love one, I'm sure.

9. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Thanks guys. I played a handful of them maybe 6 years ago loved them, and then forgot about it. I played one again recently and was just blown away. I need one bad. Too bad I'm a broke musician lol!!

10. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

I've played several at a music store in Vt. Great guitars, each one. Nice details like Adirondack spruce on most models, wood binding and those heelcaps on the top of the line models! Wow!

If I did order one from them, it would be a long-scale 12 string B-model. Irene Goodnight!

[​IMG]

11. wilder

wilder Member

I picked one up at the Hill Country Guitars booth during last year's Arlington show. I played it for only a few minutes in a loud room and still knew I better put it down and back away or something dangerous was going to happen.

12. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

wow .. nobody owns one .. so far eh? I've seen them look great, great reviews .. went with a Charis myself for my #1 acoustic.

13. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Yeah I figured someone here would own one. Someone here owns everything.

14. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Wow! really nice!

15. fatback

fatback Member

I tried a F.B. baritone at McCabes in LA a few years ago and was blown away. I actually started adding up in my head what I could get if I sold off all of of my electric gear. I barely survived that g.a.s. attack!

warning: Froggy Bottom guitars may induce uncontrolled bouts of financial irresponsibility.
    ;)

16. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

Yeah McCabes is a bad place for guys with lots of electric stuff and not alot of money. They have a few Frogs now that I'm gonna go check out.

17. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I played a Froggy Parlor guitar down in CA that was the best I've ever played.

It cost $4000.

I don't have $4000.

crap.

18. Thwap

Thwap Silver Supporting Member

I've heard nothing but good things about them, and I just liquidated a bunch of electric gear to put towards one nice acoustic. But no dealers in my area, and I just have a hard time parting with 4-5k for a guitar I've never played.

Guess I'm goin Goodall.

Wish they had more extensive distribution.

19. johneeeveee

johneeeveee Member

I would order a guitar from Froggy or Collings sight unseen if I had the money (which I don't), but I wouldn't say that about many other builders. They are in such high demand, that I'm pretty sure any shop that could order one for you would take it back if you hated it.

On the other hand, Goodall makes some great guitars as well. I totally understand about not wanting to buy something until you could play it, especially at that price point.

Good luck - jv

20. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Contact the Guitar Gallery see if they might do a deal where you can return it if you don't like it, she's great to deal with.