From 10 inch to 12...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gemckay, Feb 28, 2012.

1. gemckay

gemckay Member

Hey gang

Just wondered what going from 4 10 inch speakers to a one 12 in my fender bassman would do. Tonal characteristically speaking?

Anyone done this as well? And what will it do?

Thanks guys!
    Greg!

2. GearHeadFred

GearHeadFred Member

4x10 moves a LOT of air. A 1x12 will sound 'smaller' and be more directional and position sensitive.

As far as tone, it 100% depends on what speakers you use.

3. dspellman

dspellman Senior Member

Sort of the other way around -- a 4x10 is more directional and position sensitive. It operates as if it were a single large speaker. Generally the larger the speaker the narrower the dispersion angle. A 12" speaker is a larger speaker than a 10" speaker and would ordinarily have the narrower dispersion angle, but since all four act as one big 20x20" speaker, the 4x10 is much more directional.

As for moving more air; that depends. While four 10" speakers have a lot of cone area (between two twelves and two fifteens), it is a volume of air we are moving, not simply a flat sheet of air. When we talk about cone area we only have two dimensions so we need another parameter to get a volume of air. That parameter is clean cone excursion, often called Xmax. So it depends on the cone excursion of the 12" speaker how much volume of air gets moved compared to the 4x10's. It's possible to move as much air with a 12" speaker as it is with 4 x 10" speakers.

4. Scooter Burbank

Scooter Burbank Member

I see what you're saying, but doesn't your first paragraph rebut your second in a way? If the four 10s become one giant 20x20" speaker, doesn't it follow that they will provide more cone excursion than a single 12?

5. gemckay

gemckay Member

Great insight!

Keep it coming. Thanks guys!

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

It will sound a lot more boxy and one-dimensional.

7. Tommy_G

Tommy_G Member

Less or no swirl, or whatever they call it when the speakers are pushing back on the power amp.

8. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

My wife says she's entirelly happy with 10 inches.

Someone had to say it...:facepalm

9. Lazy

Lazy Member

I am guessing you are talking about a 59' Bassman LTD type Bassman? These require a 2 ohm total load. Then you can't go from four 10" (8ohm) as in the Bassman, to one 12" (8ohm). You would need either one 12" (2ohm) speaker (Don't know if these exist) or four 12" speakers wired the same way as the Bassman.

10. gemckay

gemckay Member

Ahhhh I see. So probably not possible eh?

11. cratz2

cratz2 Member

But she'll settle for what she's getting now, right? :stir

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Oh... to contribute something helpful, Weber offers some speakers with 2 OHM voice coils though they have certain limitations and probably won't offer every single model in 2 OHMs.

I'd probably look over the list and then actually call or email them. A Michigan would be my first choice for cleans AND gain tones or the California with a paper dust cap if you mostly play clean. No idea if they'll offer any of those in 2 OHMs though. Not according to the website, at least.

13. SixDemonBag

SixDemonBag Member

:rimshot

True!

I knew this wouldn't end well.... :facepalm.