From 1x12 to 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by filtersweep, Apr 25, 2015.

1. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

Have an Egnater Rebel 30 head and matching 1x12. It sounds great. I found an Egnater 2x12 Tweaker cab locally. It has slightly different speakers than the Rebel cab.

I am considering this for live use- to push a bit more air. I had been using a Fender 2x12 combo that seemed to have a bit richer tone. I play with a loud, noisy alt-rock group.

Ideally I would just by a matching 1x12 extension cab- but they are rare- and cost as much as a used 2x12.

Am I wasting my money?

I have read other threads here- not finding much consensus.

2. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

The Tweaker cabs have the GH50 speakers (V30 like) and partial open back, while the Rebels have the Elite 80 speakers with closed back and porting for more punch. I have not heard these side by side, but was impressed with the Rebel cab and speakers as they sound like Celestion G1280 or Mesa MC90s (which are my fave). The Tweaker's speakers (rhyme!) may have a little less bass vs the 80, but having 2 drivers in a larger cab will be bigger sounding and less directional in that sense.

3. TimmyP

TimmyP Member

The Rebel 30 comes with an Elite 80, and I don't care for the sound at all - very thin. Plug the amp into a 1960 cab and it sounds good.