From ADAT To ProTools

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by MalcolmTex, Jul 25, 2006.

1. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex Member

I have a bunch of works-in-progress from a few years ago on ADAT tapes. Some songs occupy one tape (<8tracks), Some songs are on 2 tapes (up to 16 tracks) and a few songs are on 3 tapes (up to 24 tracks). I still own the 3 ADAT machines and BRC but never use them. I want to sell them, but need to transfer my works in progress to another format. What would you guys do? Would it be easier for me to just find a studio that does this on a regular basis and pay them to do it. I imagine there will be A/D and D/A issues and clocking issues with the transfer. Thanks

2. LSchefman

LSchefman Supporting Member

Actually, depending on your audio interface, ADAT tracks are very easy to transfer digitally. I've done it syncing the ADAT to a MOTU MTP AV and MOTU audio interface (via the ADAT inputs), as well as with Pro Tools gear. Very simple transfers, no problems.

Another valid choice is to transfer the tracks analog; if you use decent gear, you probably won't notice audio degredation.

Since you won't get much for the ADATS, you might want to keep them. Sometimes it's really nice/faster to track on a tape machine instead of screwing around with a computer, and then transfer the tracks for later editing.

3. MalcolmTex

MalcolmTex Member

Yeah I wondered about that. Figured I might not get much for them. problem is that I've sold my mixer and everything but the machines. Thanks for the info!

4. Gil1

Gil1 Member

I just did that.

Very easy to transfer into Dig.Perf.

Only got $175 each for the ADATs.

5. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd probably just go to a studio and have them do it.

If you plan to keep the machines, get a used MOTU 2408. 3 ADAT lightpipe I/O.

Loudboy