1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

From gritty breakup to distortion

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Brad Scott, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Supporting Member

I have a Strat into a Deluxe Reverb -- which OD pedal(s) would you recommend for running the gamut of gritty OD breakup all the way to classic Marshall distortion tones?

2. street

street Member

If you follow this forum at all this question or one like it is asked almost daily.
    Klon, OCD or Eternity. Or any combination of each.
    Oh yeah almost forgot the BOR too.

Or just save up and buy a Marshall NMV.

3. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I don't find the Eternity or BoR gritty at all, so I think you can count those out. Perhaps an OKKO Diablo or BJF EGDM for gritty meduim gain to balls-out distortion.

-Ben

4. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

I'd say...bang for the buck, the Eternity. It's just came down in price...cheaper than the BJF and Klon and will fit the bill nicely.

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

6. Brad Scott

Brad Scott Supporting Member

At first I was thinking of the Red Snapper or FDII and a King of the Britains to get everything from overdrive to Marshall crunch, but I will definitely be checking out all of your suggestions.

Thanks!

7. glarestreak

glarestreak Member

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Which one? I suggested the EGDM, but are you suggesting another one?
    I don't think the SBEQ would do the trick ;)

-Ben

9. mcormier

mcormier Guest

He probably means the dyna red.

10. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Marshall thing: MI Audio Crunch Box, Barber Direct Drive, Marshall Guvnor2 (tried one the other day, not too bad-$60 range)

Fendery thing: Barber LTD Silver, LTD Black for the warmer, smoother breakup;
    Xotic RC Boost for the pushed clean thing, (a clean boost into the RC Boost and into the Black LTD pretty much does it for me from clean to a sort of pushed Fen*umble)
    maybe the PedalworX Cactus Crunch
    Timmy?

The FDII in comp cut mode is great with a Fender. Also the PedalworX Texas Two Step. The MI Audio Blue Boy Deluxe should be able to give you a bit of both depending upon the settings. In fact, the BBD and Crunch Box might just do it, though the RC Boost would round it out pretty well.

Brett

11. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

The Timmy has a nice gritty tone, and is very tweakable. It has a great EQ that would allow you a lot of control over your tone with your setup.

The Lovepedal COT is a great pedal for a Strat - its a low-gainer, but would work magic with your setup. This pedal can get you right into that gritty Marshally low gain wonderland. Won't do high gain though.

If you like TS's - I would recommend a FoxRox ZIM. The VT card is one of my all-time fav's for lower gain Strat tones, and the H9 and B9 cards are great reditions of the TS circuit. With one of these and the stellar EQ on channel B, and the VT or CS cards in channel A, you could get anywhere from low gain tones to rauchy high gain.